Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pumping Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pumping Question

I've got my Stenner pump on-line now and watched it for its first pumping cycle not only to see how it performs but whether the timer that controls it works also. During the pumping cycle, the discharge side of the Stenner pump tube at the tube housing wiggles side to side in the pump head. Not a crazy amount but as the rollers squeeze the tube there is a pretty good motion. Additionally the discharge tubing leading to the injection check valve moves in a slight "jumping" motion in rhythm with the movement of the tube at the pump head as the fluid is delivered.
    Are these movements normal and to be expected?
    I just want to make sure that the injection check valve is not blocked as I never did test the system before the installation.
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.
    200 lb. Sand Filter w/Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX 1.5 H.P. 2 Spd. pump
    Stenner Injection Pump System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pumping Question

My Stenner pump behaves in the same way so I wouldn't be concerned about it.
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thank you. Just seems a little disconcerting to watch. One would think that would be the one major wear point of the system.
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.
    200 lb. Sand Filter w/Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX 1.5 H.P. 2 Spd. pump
    Stenner Injection Pump System

4. Back To Top    #4

It's normal for metering pumps to have a pulsing output. What you're seeing is normal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have used similar pumps at work and have found them to be reliable and accurate. I would like to give this a try, but I live in Dallas, Tx and I am concerned about the concentration of liquid bleach degrading quickly in out heat. We will see a couple thre or four months in the 90s or 100s.

What are everyones thoughts, how quick will 30 gal of bleach loose it.

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

6. Back To Top    #6

You can search the forum for bleach degradation and there's a chart. Suffice it to say, lower concentrations last a long time even it pretty hot weather.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    I have used similar pumps at work and have found them to be reliable and accurate. I would like to give this a try, but I live in Dallas, Tx and I am concerned about the concentration of liquid bleach degrading quickly in out heat. We will see a couple thre or four months in the 90s or 100s.

What are everyones thoughts, how quick will 30 gal of bleach loose it.

Anthony
    I also buried my tank most of the way to keep the bleach a little cooler.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

8. Back To Top    #8

Found the link, but it does not show the typical 6% or so we find in stores....

http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/decomp_curve.htm
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover