Pull out filter vs. Backwash

May 25, 2013
I have DE filter that does not take long to go from 13-15 psi to 20 and then beyond.

When I remove the filter, the screen on top is depressed and algae and DE have collected on top of it. Is this likely causing the rapid rise in pressure?

Instead of backwashing, should I just commit to removing the entire filter everyday for awhile and hosing it off?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the prompt response!

It's cloudy, but not "sludgey." This is our 2nd year with the pool as it came with the house we bought. Last year, there was a ridiculous amount of sludge as the pool hadn't been opened in 3+ years.

For the meantime, should I just suck it up and remove the filter and hose it down on a daily basis?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: When you post almost identical questions twice, it is confusing to everyone. I removed your other post so we can all help you in this one thread.

I am not a DE expert but it seems like your filter is doing exactly what it's purpose is and you simply have a lot of junk to filter out of your pool. How long does it take to get to 20 psi from the 13-15.

Thanks for the welcome and clarification.

About an hour if I use only a pound of DE. I've found that if I use more than that, it "filters" too quickly.

I was really surprised at how the screen on top of the filter compressed as if sucking in on itself.

I just pulled the filter out, hosed it down, popped the screen back out and am running the pool without DE added to make sure the chlorine is having a chance to actually circulate.

Can a DE filter with DE added still do the trick in the short term to get the algae out?

Can a DE filter with DE added still do the trick in the short term to get the algae out?
No filter of any type or size will remove live algae from a pool. Algae (living) can only be removed by first killing it, keeping it killed, and then removing the dead debris from the pool through filtering.

This may be redundant, but...
Assuming your pool water is not balanced since your are questioning the filter performance. DE filter media should always be present with this type filter, that is how it works. Make sure all of your grids have no worn through areas such as at the corners - that they don't need replacing. O ring on the filter, intact? $5 fix. SCRUB your pool walls if you have not already - walls, tile, steps, ladder steps - everything. Algae grows FAST if all blooms not removed.

I'm experimenting here and after pulling out the DE filter, hosing it down, pushing the screen back "up," I ran the filter (again without DE) for about an hour before it went from 13 psi to 20.

Could there be so much dead organic matter that it is still covering the screen, thus raising the pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a cartridge filter, so I don't know the specifics of DE. However, it sounds like the filter is doing it job and you need to follow the shock process, which is linked to my [s:1em9fl6c]filter[/s:1em9fl6c]signature. What kind of test kit do you have? If not a TF-100 or K-2006, get one of them and post up a full set of test results. Then we will be able to help you more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.