How much cya does a 3" puck add to the water

hank59

Silver Supporter
May 24, 2013
I'm new here so the first thing I'd like to say is, Great Site!! Just had my first pool installed on May 2nd and thanks to you guys I think I've learned more about water balance than a lot of people I've spoken to who have had a pool for years. I'll try to turn them all on to your page.
Already have small bucket of 3" pucks I bought before I learned about the BBB method. I thought I would start out with the tabs in floater until the cya level is where I need it then switch over to liquid. How much does a puck raise cya? Read here it should be 30-50ppm, wondering how long it will take. The pool season here in NY is only 3-4 months so I will be draining/refilling some of the water with the start and close of the season.

Thanks, been adding chemicals and testing using the calculator for about a week now, its a huge help and very accurate. Ended up adding stabilizer anyway, Chlorine was being used up to quickly but it seems to be holding now. I'll be switching to liquid when the tabs in the pool now are used up. Tested last night an this morning.
FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 30

Looking good. Bet you're glad you figured out the bleach, puck, CYA thing early on. Many fight that battle on a daily basis.....and lose. You might find bumping the CYA up to 40 will help a little bit more but that really depends on sun exposure for your pool. A little tweaking here and there will give you an excuse to play with your test kit. :wink: The key is that YOU are in control of your levels.

Enjoy that water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.