Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much cya does a 3" puck add to the water

1. Back To Top    #1

How much cya does a 3" puck add to the water

I'm new here so the first thing I'd like to say is, Great Site!! Just had my first pool installed on May 2nd and thanks to you guys I think I've learned more about water balance than a lot of people I've spoken to who have had a pool for years. I'll try to turn them all on to your page.
    Already have small bucket of 3" pucks I bought before I learned about the BBB method. I thought I would start out with the tabs in floater until the cya level is where I need it then switch over to liquid. How much does a puck raise cya? Read here it should be 30-50ppm, wondering how long it will take. The pool season here in NY is only 3-4 months so I will be draining/refilling some of the water with the start and close of the season.
    18'rd vinyl AG 8000ga
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    Hayward 90sq ft EC900 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How much cya does a 3" puck add to the water

Welcome to the forum. The poolcalculator (link in my sig) has a section at the bottom called "effects of adding chemicals" that will calculate your answer for you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Is a 7oz tab measured in weight or volume? Does it matter when typing in the calculations?
    18'rd vinyl AG 8000ga

4. Back To Top    #4

Since pucks are compressed, you would use weight.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by hank59
    Thanks, Is a 7oz tab measured in weight or volume? Does it matter when typing in the calculations?
    That's weight. Be sure you have entered your pool's volume up top.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

For my pool it works out to 1 ppm per puck. Just put the info into the pool calculator and let it do its magic.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, been adding chemicals and testing using the calculator for about a week now, its a huge help and very accurate. Ended up adding stabilizer anyway, Chlorine was being used up to quickly but it seems to be holding now. I'll be switching to liquid when the tabs in the pool now are used up. Tested last night an this morning.
    FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 30
    18'rd vinyl AG 8000ga

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking good. Bet you're glad you figured out the bleach, puck, CYA thing early on. Many fight that battle on a daily basis.....and lose. You might find bumping the CYA up to 40 will help a little bit more but that really depends on sun exposure for your pool. A little tweaking here and there will give you an excuse to play with your test kit. The key is that YOU are in control of your levels.

Enjoy that water!
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, with all your help and a little diligence it's fairly easy. I get sun from around noon till sunset, would the cya be better higher or lower?
    18'rd vinyl AG 8000ga