Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: muriatic "not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner..."

1. Back To Top    #1

muriatic "not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner..."

Why does Leslie's say that their muriatic acid is "Not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner, painted, or acrylic pools."?

I haven't seen anything like that on here anywhere. And is their muriatic different than the stuff you buy at HD or Lowe's?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: muriatic "not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner...

Can you post that link? That is so silly. muriatic is muriatic.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic acid in its typical concentration could cause problems with a vinyl liner IF not applied correctly. Whereas you could typically just pour it into a concrete (gunite) pool directly, you wouldn't want to apply it that way if your pool is constructed with some form of plastic material. When I apply liquid acid to my vinyl pool, I dilute it in a five gallon bucket at a ratio of 40:1 (water to acid) and slowly pour the mixture over the return jet at the deep end of the pool. Years ago when I knew little in the way of pool maintenance, it didn't take long to ruin the vinyl liner with the improper application of acids to the pool. Perhaps there are other reasons Leslie's has posted the warning, but from my experience, this would seem to be the most logical.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

4. Back To Top    #4

That doesn't make any sense to me. Pouring full strength muriatic acid directly onto any kind of pool surface will damage the surface, while adding it as we recommend (pour slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running) is fine with any kind of surface. It really doesn't matter what kind of pool you have.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Applied in front of a return, pump running, it is perfectly safe to apply muriatic directly from the container. That is the method suggested by this forum and it is applicable to ANY pool.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's the link: http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...ers/14013.html

I know I had previously received that advice here (pour in front of jet while pump running) for CYA, wasn't completely sure if that applied for muriatic as well. I kinda figured it was Leslie's avoiding liability for people who aren't careful but wanted to check.

I may or may not dilute it for my own purposes, so it's good to now what my options are. Need to lower TA from 110 down to the recommended target range (60-80) and the pH just a shade as well.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never diluted it. Just poured slowly in front of the return flow.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

It is important to remember the slow part here, also that muriatic acid is MUCH heavier than water and will sink to the bottom of the pool if not well mixed by the return.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

I poured in one gallon veeerrryyy slowly over the jet with the pump running at a high setting. What I noticed is that, even after shaking up the bottle (a few times), little flakes ended up floating around. I could see quite a few that ended up on the floor and even a little "pile" of them in one spot. As soon as I finished, I took my skimmer and stuck it in the water and mixed up that area and then I threw the dolphin in to further stir up the water.

Hopefully that was enough to avoid any future issues, but figured I'd post it here in case anyone else experienced this and didn't notice it.

10. Back To Top    #10

In general, when adding a concentrated chemical that is heavier than water such as Muriatic Acid, chlorinating liquid or bleach, I would add it slowly over a return flow (preferably in the deep end if it has a floor drain) and after you are done, then lightly brush the side and bottom in the area where you added the chemical. That will ensure thorough mixing and prevent any pooling.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I poured in one gallon veeerrryyy slowly over the jet with the pump running at a high setting. What I noticed is that, even after shaking up the bottle (a few times), little flakes ended up floating around.
    What did you pour in?? I have never seen muriatic acid produce flakes nor should you EVER have any reason to shake the bottle!!
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Oops! I was talking about the conditioner! Sorry! Haven't added any muriatic yet. Whew!