cya level

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm posting this again as it didn't post from last night in the getting started thread, don't know why.

I have been told by a pool guy that the pool will lose some cya during the summer. Is that because of replacement on evaporated water with city water and rain water?

Also if this is true, then during the summer it would be OK to use the 3 inch tabs in the floater?

Any guidance is appreciated, Thanks, John

Some CYA, but not much, gets lost due to splash out and back washing. Evaporation leaves CYA behind in the pool.

Depending on your current CYA level, you might be able to use some Tabs. Go to poolcalculator.com and put all your test results in. Scroll down to the effects section where you can enter what you plan to add, and see its projected effects on your water chemistry.

You will find that the members here only recommend using Tabs rarely for vacation chlorination.

You do lose a little CYA during the summer, but normally just a little. CYA is lost to both water replacement (splash out, backwashing, overflow) and oxidation by chlorine. But again both of these processes are normally quite slow.

Using trichlor tablets routinely will add far more CYA than you normally lose. Using them now and then is fine as long as you keep track of where your CYA level is and their effect on PH.

Many thanks, I just finished testing my water and got these results
FC 7.5
CC .5
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 60

I'll use those tabs for vacation only as I'd like to get the CYA DOWN TO 50 or 40 in the future as I'm in the process of getting my pool diamond brighted in the near future. However looks like my pH is a little high today....any other suggestions appreciated, I'm going to the pool calculated as the next step, Thanks, John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.