Trying to start this out Right the First time this year.

Ok, Thought this might be a better forum that just starting:

I've learned so much by reading this site and hopefully a step ahead of myself from last year
(http://www.troublefreepool.com/i-may-be-a-chemist-but-the-pool-is-smarter-than-i-am-t44884-60.html).

One of the things I've picked up on is the use of a foam-core under the AGP; however, most of these are for pools set on the ground where mine will be on a slab and I've not been able to really determine what thickness, etc...

So a few questions before I set the pool up this year (kids are already pushing and we go on vacation in a week or so - think they could wait two weeks :-D ):

1) Pink Foam, what thickness? Where the pool will be set up is on a concrete slab. Last year all I did was place the ground cloth that came with the kit on the slab, then laid another tarp on top. As one can imagine, the stress relief grooves eventually showed up along the bottom of the pool, it was somewhat hard on the feet, and I suspect that the pool stayed very cold despite the very warm days. The grooves certainly held up the dirt and stuff so vacuuming was easy enough; however, that was the only good thing.

1a) Pink Foam, Pool feet on top of the foam or cut outs so that the pool feet rest directly on the concrete slab? The slab is just large enough that the pool sits with the feet just about 1" to 1-1/2" (2.5cm to 3.7cm) from the edge.

2) Should I put the tarp/ground cloth on-top of the foam?

3) In Last years thread, the Iron-Soup Gremlin appeared... yuck! This year, I was looking at purchasing an Iron-filter as one would have installed for a whole-house water softening system. Has any one tried this? Any suggestions?

4) Good place to order a new pool cover, the one that came with the pool... by the end of the last year it was showing the wear. Any problem with one from Leslies Pool which has a shop over in Omha, or are there better places.

-WC

Thank you for the warm welcome! Glad to be back and it plans to be a very busy summer. I hope to have the materials purchased and the pool up within the next few weeks.

Was very busy over the winter, things picked up in the lab, added a new little boy to the family - which was very unexpected. I guess those blessings from the half-dozen priests caught up with us :)

I had planned to leave the pool up; however, the cover wouldn't stay down in the high winds, the leaves invaded, the weather was just horrid. Then I read that Intex states that their material can become, less flexible, in very cold weather and I was expecting negatives; thus, cleaned and took it down. Which is OK as now I get a chance to handle the grooves, etc.

In any case, your fuzzy with the specifics is really what I've ran into with the search, both on-site and via Google/Bing/etc... so, here I am.
Speaking of searches... where'd I put my test kit!

Off to do the family thing I think.
-wc

Well, I know this is quite old now but I only went through a few pages to find it so I hope it's alright to resurrect...

What size/type of foam did you end up using? I'm in the same situation -- going to set up on a slab and don't want sore feet in the pool.

Please, Bump Away...
I'm am moderator on another website and I appreciate not bumpping a thread and your reluctance to do so for one so old.

- To answer your question:
Unforutunately, the water heater started leaking from deep inside, so $600 dollars later and the budget was gone for setting up the pool.
What I did was used some of the sand I had left over for the sand filter to level out/fill in the stress-relief cracks in the slab and then I covered the slab with three tarps.
What I was looking at were the 1/2" thick pink boards and I had read about using the Gorella tape which I think I would have used the widest available on the shelf to go over the joints between boards. The 1/4" I thought would crush down to nothing under 38K#, even if it is spread over 196sqft- (that's just around 1-1/2psi-static) and they cost the same as the 1/2" at our local HW-Store. However, at $10+ each I was looking at $80 to $100 for the boards which was in the budget until the water heater failed. So I used the rest of the budget to purchase 12%Cl that was on sale for the same price as the regular ole storebrand bleach (!) and a couple of bottles of acid, also on sale for $2/gal!!

Now I have the stupid boatmen back in the pool. A lot of dirt was blown in and I think I have some alge hiding somewhere even though all of the test numbers look right, so vacuume to waste, bumpped the Cl back up and brush, brush, brush... for a few days. I did this earlier in the year and they've stayed out of pool until now.

Now if that antifreeze will go on sale here soon, that'd be a real bonus!

Oh, BTW:
I used a recreational RV filter that said it would remove high iron levels, chlorine, and a slug list of other things (it was on sale for 1/2 price)... I think I over-ran the capacity of the cartridge; however, this year, no Iron-poop-Soup! The water did turn a lovely shade of emerald-green when I put the acid it; however, that's a normal colour for Iron-Chloride in dilute solutions. I think if I had used a bit of HTC-MetalControl before adding the acid and starting the shock process I probably wouldn't have even seen the green tint.
Next year, I think I'll use a full house Carbon-IX-Filter setup, which is what the RV thing basically is, and lay the foam down - if the budget doesn't get broken again (0-°)
-wc

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about the water heater! We got some 1/4" thick siding insulation in 4' x 50' sheets on clearance. Still more than I thought they'd be but we might be able to cut it to double up the entire thing. Hoping to set it up tomorrow so we'll see!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.