New Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - COMPLETE (6/30)

Apr 27, 2013
Houston, TX
So after many years, my wife convinced me that it is time for a pool. My sons are now old enough to enjoy it (and can swim pretty good as well). Last year, about this time, we got a few quotes and were scared away. This year, did the same thing.......However this time, we found a PB who lives in our neighborhood and who is extremely hands on. We watched him build a pool across the street and he does wonderful work.

Enough with the back story, now on to some details.

Design:
Most of the pools around here are the "lagoon" style (with rock etc). We like those designs, but my wife doesn't like being like everyone else.... so she wanted to go geometric. She says "classic" rectangle with some Grecian corners would be timeless. As a wise man once said.... happy wife=happy life so we are going geometric. Design is below.

uTQ4feU.jpg

ik8vPMD.jpg

u4AC6v3.jpg

Since those designs, shots were taken we made some minor mods:
- back wall from 12" center / 6" side to 18"/12" (with 3 sheer descents in center section)
- seat moved from end to between spa and end
- overflow from spa from water fall to scupers (openings under coping made from coping)
- more decking (someone told me, you always want more than you put in to begin with)
- landscaping behind wall and in corners of back fence

Overall Dimensions:
Pool size: 106' (perimeter), 535 sqft
Depth: 3.5' to 6.5'
Size: ~17' x 36'

Other details:
Spa: 12" raised Octagon w/30" sides; 6 jets, LED light
Pool: 2 LED lights, PebbleSheen plaster, 2 seats (in center of back wall, between spa and end on deep end), tanning ledge
Coping/Waterline tile: Travertine
Decking: Concrete with Cool Deck Overlay (~1024 sqft)
Water Features: 3 - bubblers/fountains in tanning ledge, 3 - 18" sheer descents, 3 - scupers overflow from spa
Pumps: (2) Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed pumps (1 for filter, 1 for water features), (1) booster pump for polaris
Filter: Hayward DE
Heater: 400k BTU Hayward
Controls: Prologic PS-8 w/T-15 Salt System
Cleaner: Polaris 3900
Other: Blower
Plumbing: 2" line from main drain & 2 - 2" lines from skimmers (sch 40 PVC); 2 1/2" suction feed piping at pump
Returns: 6 returns (including 1 polaris) - 1 1/2"
Spa Jets: 6

Construction Timeline (~4wks):
Tree Removal - COMPLETE on May 22nd
Excavation - COMPLETE on May 23rd
Steel/Rebar/Initial Plumbing - COMPLETE on May 25th
Gunite - Complete on May 30th (delayed 4 times, but finally DONE!!!!)
Plumbing - Mostly Complete June 1st - Complete Complete June 6th
1st Cleanup - Complete on June 1st
Electrical - Complete on June 1st
Tile/Coping - Complete on June 10th
Drainage/Concrete/Flat work - Complete on June 6th
2nd Cleanup - Complete on June 17th
Landscape/sod/sprinkler/etc - Complete on June 19th
PebbleSheen - Complete on June 13th
Concrete Overlay - Complete on June 21st
Pool Complete - Complete on June 24th (including small punchlist items) - Full Construction ~1 Month!!!!!

Final Pool Pic!!!!! (build process in the below posts):
JYu3dQ8.jpg

Re: New IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX for the local

Tile/Coping Selections
Coping w/ Back Wall Stacked "Ledger Panels"
D1XEO8r.jpg

Accent Tile for center back wall insert (surrounded by travertine tile)
xTdCCkb.jpg

Tree Removal
frMdzUn.jpg
vfNsVrh.jpg
eniH7mT.jpg

Playhouse Gets It!
rQlQsAl.jpg

Excavation
7RTGKGF.jpg
cL2OuZT.jpg

XeSJTCM.jpg
dnT8SSP.jpg

Re: New IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX for the local

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Keep the pics coming... That's a nice looking pool thus far!!! :cool:

Re: IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX for the locals)

They got done by about 1:00PM. Plumbers came as well to install items that go through gunite. Pics below. Done until Tuesday (GUNITE!!!!!)

Rebar being installed (never realized how much steel goes in these things)
dfRBsfS.jpg
BaeYI6R.jpg

Spa Rebar with Jet piping (1-1/2" feed water & air; 2" drain, 1-1/2" return) / 2 pipes on seat are returns (1-1/2")
tPwoXw3.jpg
XrH0rch.jpg

Water Feature suction (2") / Return (1-1/2")
VTYRnOn.jpg

Skimmer (1 of 2 in the pool) - 2" pipe
TbcPAew.jpg

3 Bubblers (1-1/2" pipe going to a single feed with ball values to allow you to chain height of flow)
zNXSNRf.jpg

Overall Pic of progress today
fPRmIZT.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, but this is very interesting stuff to me (Engineer in me coming out).

Oh puh-lease.... don't be sorry! We need pic fixes! We love them so post them all up as soon as you can! :goodjob:

Do you mind listing your PB and cost? I am in the market and I was kinda hoping to see the cost of your decking because we are planning on a lot of decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - Lots of Pics

So....very busy Saturday. Plumbing mostly in (they didn't pipe up DE filter since they didn't have some of the misc fittings - Monday for that). Electrical/controls complete...... Just in-time...... Sunday is a washout (muddy mess).

Piping (didn't take many picks)......Sorry
KhDlqr8.jpg
NV0lHG9.jpg

Finished Equipment Pad (except Filter - which will be done Monday):
W9uL7uK.jpg
QQQLss0.jpg

Monday.... Tile and coping continue (likely through Thursday)..... Forming for Decking starts Tuesday.

Getting more exciting with each passing day!!!!!!!!

Re: IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - Lots of Pics

Sorry for the lack of updates, but had to work quite a bit this week..... several pics below..

Decking rebar/poured (Overlay to be done as final step in a week or so):
c57pzHy.jpg
GXNSKMh.jpg

FaE2SZH.jpg
TNGOPR6.jpg

Equipment/Plumbing Complete (they installed backwash valve/line/filter finally):
8AM63yS.jpg

Tile and Coping (started Monday....Hopefully finished Saturday or Monday):
yzpJXXe.jpg
eRKBMwd.jpg

B9Ogvdp.jpg
h7h91vY.jpg

J4CEhLL.jpg
cdqyoGC.jpg

Still have to finish the wall, spa, and then grout. Pebble Sheen will be Wednesday! Finally decided on French Gray.

Everything coming together and our PB has been great through all this.

Re: IGP Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - UPDATED 6/7/20

NICE!!! :cool:

Got home too late today for any pics (sorry), but tile/coping now complete. Cleanup tomorrow and then Pebble Sheen (Wednesday - HOPEFULLY!!!!).... we picked French Gray. Will get some pics up tomorrow of the tile in the daylight.

Coming together.....Kids (and really us too) are getting antsy.

As promised.... Tile completion Pics (w/ grout and sealer). All tile (with exception of the small accent tile) is travertine of some sort. Pool was clean until it rained some today...

w7tPsgB.jpg
499gKlh.jpg

Back wall pics (and details). Center section has 3 Shear Descents (18") at the top under the coping.

SBI2qZS.jpg
r5Chsqp.jpg

Close up detail of center back wall

EE7V6Pb.jpg

Octagon spa with scupper overflows into the pool. These are my favorite part....to me the craftmanship is wonderful.

PP2k8Xu.jpg
7M9XYvb.jpg

dxDhCqG.jpg
ASxrGBR.jpg

Found out today that pebble sheen won't be done until Friday/Saturday (yet another slip). So now the waiting begins. Very little hope of getting water in the pool this weekend. Oh well, guess it will make next weekend all the better.

Re: New Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - UPDATED 6/9/20

Well..... got a pleasant surprise today. Apparently the schedule doesn't just move back....... it can stay the same. They were able to Pebble Sheen today. The color we choose was French Gray. I looks a little hazy (white), but I am told after they acid wash it tomorrow, it will become the color we chose. Anybody Else can vouch for that????

Anyways, here is the pics (wife took some since I had to work today):

zZMSBuW.jpg
v9O0qnE.jpg

HGo6pzr.jpg

1st Day Complete Pics (before Acid Wash):

exdeWOu.jpg
K2edHAc.jpg

XKw7G4Z.jpg
Y4m6vrs.jpg

Start filling pool tomorrow after wash!!!!!!

Re: New Build - NE Houston (Atascocita, TX) - UPDATED 6/12/2

Wooo Hoooo :whoot:
It seems the longest part is watching the pool fill up :lol:
Congratulations!
Can't wait to see it after the fill and the chemicals start working!
Dena

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.