Need help with 1966 pool. Is what I currently have bad news?

May 24, 2013
Moved into a house last summer with a pool. I've been reading the site since then and learning so much! Finally time to post a question of my own.

Last summer I didn't do much with the pool other than the basics. We were in the middle of a complete renovation of the house so the pool didn't get the attention it deserved. Now that summer is around the corner I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on our pool setup and what I could do to improve it without going too crazy.

Here's what I know. The pool was built in 1966 but the coping and decking have been redone (poorly I might add) at least once or twice since then. I finally did the calculations today and the pool is 33,000 gallons and 60 sq ft. There is a Leslie's Crystal Clear II 48 sw. ft. DE filter that's probably 5 years old with a 1HP pump. There is just one skimmer basket and one drain. The return lines back to the filter are 1 1/2". The single return line back to the pool is 1 1.2" as well. There are two return jets on the same side of the pool. It has a Polaris 280 and booster pump as well.

I'm attaching a diagram to show all of this more clearly

So, my first thought is that the filter and pump are probably undersized. Am I right in thinking that? It does a reasonable job of keeping everything clean - but I need to run it almost 24 hours a day in the 100 degree Dallas summers to keep in that way. Is that more a product of the heat or the undersized filter and pump?

There also doesn't seem to be much circulation in the pool with just the two jets. The water is very still even with the filter is running. Not sure if that is a problem or not. If so, is there anything that can be done short of major work?

The big question. Is it worth getting rid of the existing equipment and just starting over? Or with the old plumbing, single skimmer, etc. will I always be fighting a losing battle until I go crazy and have the entire pool replumbed?

Any help/advice on what I can do (stay with the current setup, install new equipment, etc.) to improve the quality of my pool would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pool-diagram.jpg
    pool-diagram.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 70
Re: Need help with 1966 pool. Is what I currently have bad n

Welcome to TFP!

While several aspects of that situation are not ideal, there is nothing preventing you from getting everything working well with only minor adjustments.

Your pump is fine and while the filter is smaller than I would recommend, it is sufficient. Likewise, having only two jets in those locations isn't ideal, it should be possible to get things circulating well simply by aiming them correctly. Proper aiming may well take some experimentation. Basically you want the water moving around in a circle. In that shape two circles, one on each side is much simpler, but with only one skimmer a single large oval circulation is your best bet. By fiddling with the return jet aiming, it should be possible to do that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned in my original post. The 'jets' aren't really jets - just holes in the pool where the water shoots out. The original piping is copper (99% sure of that - the waste line is definitely copper) and there is a small indentation and a hole for the return jets. Wondering if there is any way to retrofit something into, or over, those holes to better direct the water.

We are currently building an addition and part of that project will require running new electrical to the pool. Because the pool will be 'offline' for a week during that process, I thought it might be a good time to redo/upgrade any equipment if it was worth it. Would going up to a 60 sq ft filter offer much of an improvement? Or is it something I won't really notice?

One other thing I forgot to mention in the original post. There is a Jandy valve where the skimmer/drain lines meet. I tried to move it when I moved in last year - and it's essentially frozen in place - but it looks like it might not be fully open in either direction. It appears to be stuck in the middle and it makes a kind of crackling noise. Is that more of an issue that I think?

Getting return jet fittings attached to those openings may take an inventive professional's help, but is well worth the trouble. From the sound of things you should also get that three way valve either replaced or rebuilt (if it can be rebuilt). The filter is more debatable. A larger filter will allow you to go longer between backwashing/cleaning the filter and slightly improve system efficiency, but it isn't at the same level of importance as the other two improvements.

To make a significant change you need to replace the pipes, which usually means tearing up the deck, and that quickly becomes a huge and expensive project.

Thanks again. I'll see what I can do with the return jets. I can get pretty inventive and plumbing challenges are always fun (just re-plumbed my entire house a couple of months ago!).

It looks like the valve needs to be cut out - there are no unions. Is that the case?

As far as replacing the pipes - that will eventually happen. We just finished a year long renovation of the house and starting an addition next week. Once we've recovered from that and the kids are older I'm sure the pool will be redone.

Better quality valves can be opened up and have their internal active components replaced. If yours is not one of those it will need to be cut out and replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.