Compupool cpsc36 or cpsc48

I got my unit and installed it yesterday. Added 9 bags of salt to my 17K pool and it is showing high salt. Maybe the salt needs time to regulate. Salt has been in for 24 hrs. Have it working today even though it says high salt. test strips are hard to read, but are showing salt around 2500. I ordered a taylor salt drop test kit today. I'm going to let it go and restest salt with the taylor kit. If salt is right on Taylor kit it is going to need a calibration adjustment. Really impressed with the overall look and feel of the unit. Looks to be heavy duty and well built.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it. We had salt levels at 4760 because the old unit wanted them around 5000. Since we'd have to drain to reduce salt, we decided to drain far enough to caulk the light and jets. (Figured since we were at, 'ya know?) I'm sure I'll end up having to add some salt since we've drained so much. I'll monitor it closely and only add in smaller batches checking every 24 hours. Luckily, I have about 6 days to get that all right before the new SWG arrives. If you wouldn't mind, let me know what you find out.

I got the aquachek test strips today and salt is at 2740ppm. I tested the FC at 6:00AM 4.0 Ran the SWG at 50% for 7 hours and FC was 4.5. Shouldn't it be way higher? This SWG is for a 60,000 gallon pool and mine is less than 20,000! I called compupool and they said with the High salt LED lit up the unit is 10% less efficient. Also they sent me info on how to calibrate the unit. I feel like this SWG is not producing like it should.

So today I ran the SWG for 9 hours on 100%. My FC went from 6ppm to 7ppm. My salt is at 2700 and my CYA is only 35ppm. It was sunny all day and the pool was covered with a solar cover. My unit still has the high salt light on. Here is my plan, raise cya to 70, when my taylor salt test kit arrives, I will bring the salt to 3500. and I will monitor the pool and run my SWG at 100% for 12hrs a day. After all chemical levels are dialed in I will then calibrate the Compupool SWG in about a week. I also have been running the SWG Cell without the UV cover on it just to keep an eye for leaks and to look for cloudiness around the cells, but I now have put the UV cover on. My main question for you is... 1. is it difficult to raise FC with a SWG when CYA is only at 35ppm? 2. Also with my salt only measuring at 2700 by test strip, does that make the SWG much more inefficient? 3. Why are CYA Targets so much higher for a SWG Pools?

1. Yep, SWG's are good for maintaining a FC level, not so good at raising it.
2. Yep, more salt, the better the chlorine production. However, too much salt leads to high current draw and the systems will shut down or throttle back.
3. Hmmm, don't know for sure so I'll wait for the pro's to respond...

I can only tell you what I've been told. I'm sure the experts will have better advice:

You need more CYA because the SWG is a slower process of generating chlorine. The higher CYA helps hold chlorine so that it doesn't drop so fast.

As rdhetrick already said, it is harder for a SWG to raise the chlorine levels. (I've heard that a SWG is kind of like the turtle in the story of the turtle and the hare.) I was always told to have some liquid chlorine on hand to keep up with a high demand (like heavy bather loads on hot, sunny days.)

My old SWG would occasionally have issues not keeping up, but I could always attribute it to a very heavily used day. For the most part though, it did it's thing.

I been running for about a week and a half. I think we got close to 3 to 4 inches of rain in that time. I received my taylor salt test kit and found my salt level to be 3200 (the strips are showing 2800). The high salt light has now turned off on the unit, I don't know if it will stay off. I don't want to add anymore salt to the pool if I can avoid it and have the SWG operate correctly. I'm wondering if adding CYA (sock in skimmer) can effect the SWG and cause the high salt light to come on? Also I can taste the salt in the water, it's not a big deal, but I thought that I would not be able to. I have been able to hold the FC around 7ppm.

Ours has been working for a week and it's been doing a great job. It's only running at 30% and is holding chlorine at 3-5 ppm. Salt is somewhere between 3200-3500. (We took it up to 3500 but the last reading via strip said salt was 3200.)

The temperature reading is wrong but the same thing happened on a different SWG that we had.

I love the internal timers. I use these set to come on 15 minutes after the filter starts and shut off 15 minutes before the filter.

I also like how you can actually see the chlorine being generated (like a cloud inside the blue housing). It's cool to be able to look and see that it's doing what you expect it to do.

I hope you get your issues worked out.

Re: Compupool cpsc36 or cpsc48I

I calibrated the unit from -18 to +6 and now the high salt LED is off. I have the CSC48 anyone else have to calibrate it and what number are you at. Compupool tech support said set it to -18, but that is what it was at from the factory and it did not work properly. The new calibration directions say to set it to -18 as well. The older calibration directions say set it to +6. I ended up putting both polarities to +6. The high salt LED is now off, but just wondering if anyone else with CSC48 knows what they have the calibration set to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been following these threads regarding calibration pretty closely so if (or maybe when) it happens, I'll know what to do.

Having not had to do it yet, I would suggest you call wherever you bought it from. When ours arrived, we had some questions and I called the place where we bought it. They were extremely knowledgeable and very, very, very helpful. Even though our questions must have seemed stupid, they were patient and even stayed with us on the phone while we tried to do what they were explaining. (This even includes passing the phone back and forth between hubby and I! LOL)

That could give you a 2nd opinion over what the manufacturer is telling you and the store may have a different insight.

Yesterday the High salt LED came back on, so I called compupool and they said I need a New LCD Board. Today the high salt LED is off. I don't know if the new LCD Board will help or not. I asked compupool (Jason Tech Support) if this is a common problem with their units and he said, No. I am adding CYA (sock in skimmer) can anyone tell me if adding CYA messes up the salt reading on SWG? Compupool said it would not.

I contacted Compupool (888)-989-7258 to see the status of my order. I was told that because my unit is brand new they are not sending an LCD board. They want to replace the entire control unit. They are shipping it out tomorrow. Hopefully, this will take care of my problem. I really feel Compupool is doing the right thing here because I should not have to screw around with changing boards in a new control unit. I will let you know how I make out once the unit arrives.

Well it's now November and I am still waiting for a replacement unit. I called Compupool several times and they keep telling me that the unit will ship as soon as it is ready. OVer 3 Months and still no replacement unit. What good is the warranty if they don't back it? Anyone still waiting on warranty issues?

Their are rumors they are in the process of discontinuing the CPSC series. I'd call and get an estimate of when their expecting replacement units. I've also got the high salt light. I'm living with it, unit is producing. Not an ideal situation. Keep us updated on your situation. There's another thread about a unit burning up the cell connections and they're still working to resolve the issues.
need-advice-on-a-warranty-issue-compupool-t70736.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.