Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compupool cpsc36 or cpsc48

1. Back To Top    #1

Compupool cpsc36 or cpsc48

So I've have just started researching these SWG's. Anyone using these units? How do they work? Cpsc36 $600 and Cpsc48 $700. I'm leaning towards the Cpsc48. My pool is vinyl 17,000 gallon. I have 2" pipe and 2HP pump and usually run the pump 6-8 hours a day. I know this brand is not top of the line and I read of display problems, inaccurate temp and salt level readings, and control boards that have needed to be replaced. I noticed that most of these problems were corrected under the factory warranty and customers seemed to be quite happy with the warranty service. There are also many people that have no problems and are very happy with their units. Are there any other brands that I should be considering around my price point?
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Compupool cpsc36 or cpsc48

In that price range CompuPool has the best reviews.

Getting the CPSC-48 is a good choice. It will be less expensive in the long run.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,
    I understand that the cell should last 3-5 years is this estimate done according to pump run time? (8 hours a day 4 months a year) Should a larger cell (cpsc48) last longer then a smaller cell (cpsc36)?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, a larger cell will last longer than a smaller cell when both are used on the same sized pool. Cell lifetime is a function of how many hours the cell is energized and producing chlorine. A larger cell doesn't need to run for as long to produce a given amount of chlorine, so it will last a longer calendar time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've got the CPSC48 on my 17K pool. Overall happy with the unit.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    I've got the CPSC48 on my 17K pool. Overall happy with the unit.
    Bobo, I read many of your posts about your unit. Your posts really helped me make my decision. I ordered mine today. How long have you had yours and what settings are you running on? Any tips on what to watch out for, or anything else? Thanks

And for anyone else following this... This unit attaches right after the sand filter, correct? I can just connect the wiring from my 240V timer to the control unit by just doubling up the wires on the load side of the timer (or tying pigtails)? Should the control unit be brought indoors for the winter when the pool is closed?

7. Back To Top    #7

You install the SWG last, after the filter and also after the heater (if you have one).

The control unit is normally hard wired and left outside over the winter. Some people bring the cell indoors for the winter, most don't.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had mine for about 2 years. Have 2 control panels replaced, the last time they (Compupool) replaced both the cell and the control panel. There is new software that doesn't display the salt measurement gives a Salt OK, High, or Low, and a red fault light.
    My unit is connected to the timer with the pump, pump comes on, so does the SWCG. The first unit had a bad display the second one looked like burned out resistors. Customer support has always been very helpful. I'm in Florida and unit is exposed all year round.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I will pick up some 40lbs. bags of salt. 13 bags should raise my salt to 3655. The manual states 3500 is ideal. Maybe I will add 12 bags and see where I am at. I'm guessing there is already some salt in the water from the bleach? What is the proper method to add salt to a pool? The manual states to pour salt in the shallow end. Is Walmarts pool salt a good choice? Would it hurt anything to add the salt a few days before the SWG is installed?

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm also trying to figure out how much 2.5 lbs of chlorine will raise my FC if I run this unit 24hrs. I only see chlorine gas listed at the pool calc. Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

SWG chlorine production specifications are always done in chlorine gas weight equivalents, so you should use the chlorine gas setting for the Pool Calculator.

You shouldn't assume that your starting salt level is zero, it will always be at least a couple hundred, and sometimes well over 1,000.

12. Back To Top    #12

What is a good quality salt testing kit that I can purchase? Should I use test strips or liquid drop salt kit? Is it a good idea to get the salt in the pool a few days before the SWG is installed? Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Bump

14. Back To Top    #14

Aquacheck salt strips are the most common.

I'd aim for the low end of the salt range, it's always easier to add more than to do a partial drain and refill.

In the end, what you want is for the controller to be happy with the salt level, not necessarily the actual salt reading.

By the way, I'm running mine at 3200 right now. After some initial calibration problems, and a cracked cell housing (replaced under warranty no questions asked), mine has been working great. I'd get the same one again if I had to do it all over.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks 4 your response. Is there any trick to adding the salt? Pour in front of a return just a little at at time. Or how?

16. Back To Top    #16

Dump and brush!!

When I first set up mine, I put 10 or so bags in all in one spot and brushed it around for a few minutes.

You should let the water circulate for 24 hours before you turn on the SWG, otherwise it will get confused and may give high or low salt readings.

As far as what salt to use, I found the cheapest to be the blue bag solar salt for water softeners, I think it was made by Mortons, about $4 a bag. I got it at Home Depot or Lowes. You don't need to get specific pool salt, it's the same stuff only ground finer and more expensive.

If you get water softener salt, just make sure it doesn't have any extra junk in it like iron remover.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by doublewide6
    I'm also trying to figure out how much 2.5 lbs of chlorine will raise my FC if I run this unit 24hrs. I only see chlorine gas listed at the pool calc. Thanks
    Now I'm finding some conflicting information on the 2.5 lbs. of chlorine a day. I bought this unit thinking it produces 2.5 lbs. of chlorine, but some websites have it listed at 1.28 lbs a day. Circupool and Compupool are supposed to be the same except for a jet on the circupool unit, so if they are the same how is the chlorine output so far off, or isn't it?

18. Back To Top    #18

There is a great deal of inconsistency in the reported chlorine production of the CompuPool units, even when only considering reports directly from CompuPool. They say one thing on their web site and then say various other inconsistent things when you call them. I suspect that the lower number is correct, but there is no way of being sure right at the moment (until someone actually tests their unit to see what it can do).

19. Back To Top    #19

I've got some rough numbers:

Before I installed the SWG, I had to add about 120 oz 6% bleach each day on average, somewhere around 2.5 PPM usage per day.

Currently, I've got the SWG set at 50%, running 12 hrs per day. Assuming this gives me the same 2.5 PPM per day, that works out to max daily production (100% for 24 hrs) of 10 PPM. Playing with the pool calculator, this equals about 32 oz. chlorine gas, or about 2 lbs.

Of course, this is nowhere near scientific, but it gives you a rough idea. I'm sure the actual salt concentration and calibration setting come into play.

Bottom line, 2.5 lbs/day is probably a little on the high side, and 1.28 is probably a little on the low side.

With a 20k gallon pool, I think you'll be happy with the CPSC48.

20. Back To Top    #20

Did you order and receive your system, doublewide6? I ask because we have the CPSC24 on order. I was just curious to see what you think of it. (If you've got it yet.)
    Central Indiana, 7200 gallon, IG fiberglass, L250 Jacuzzi sand filter, Hayward H150 gas heater, Pentair fiber optic light - installed '06. AOSmith 1.0hp pump, CPSC-24 SWG - installed '13. TF-100 Test Kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast