Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a heat/cool heat pump usefull in NJ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a heat/cool heat pump usefull in NJ?

This is my first pool... never owned one before... getting plastered in a week, and trying to figure out what heat pump I want to use. In general, in NJ, are there ever any days during the peak of summer that you would like to have a cooling heat pump? The heat/cool model is more expensive, and I am just not sure if it would ever be used in NJ climate. I would appreciate feedback in general from NJ pool owners... what is the warmest your water ever gets on it's own without your heater running? Would cooling ever be useful?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a heat/cool heat pump usefull in NJ?

I would not spend the extra money for the cooling feature in NJ. I live in Pburg. I turn my heater off when the water is warm.

Thanks!
    David
    Sent from my iPhone using
    Tapatalk
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

3. Back To Top    #3

With about 33k gallons and about 950 sq ft of surface area, I am concerned about getting too small a unit. I have all Pentair... and was looking at the Pentair 120k BTU heat pump. Other manufacturers have higher efficiency and higher BTU output, but do I lose any functionality and control? ie. the Pentair will connect to my IntelliTouch via the serial buss and take over control of it. Do other models have this same connection? Or is that Pentair only? What functionality would I lose bu going with a non-pentair unit?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

4. Back To Top    #4

I also live in NJ (southern) and moved into a new house with a big pool. Last August, my pool reached 90 degrees just from the sun hitting it all day. I needed to cool the water down and settled on Arctic Rain pool coolers (http://www.arcticraincoolers.com/Home.php) and changed my pump timer to run at night with the pool coolers spraying. It cooled the water down to 82 degrees pretty quick: couple of days. Total investment: $140
    30K gallon free form vinyl IG pool with waterfall
    Hayward DE3620, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP
    Dolphin Nautilus
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain
    1.5 inch plumbing