I Want Solar - I Have Questions

May 24, 2013
Naples, Florida
Good evening! Based on calculations, I am in need of a solar setup for 450 SF.
I have been reading everywhere; forums, craigslist, all over the internet, and I keep going back and forth.

Do I go with a craigslist special, and piece a system together, or do I just shell out the cash and buy a system, and then get a company to install.

I have a barrel tile roof; which makes the install a little more difficult.

I have been checking out bestbuypoolsupply for the (Aquasol 4' x 12' Solar Pool Heating Panel with Coupling Kit - 2" headers - Replaces Fafco Panels (AQ48-2). The entire setup from the website for (9) 4' x 12' is about $2,350 shipped. I have a company willing to install for $900-1200 (depending on what additional parts are needed)

From that same company, I received the following quote:
$2800 panels and roof hardware
$300 black pipe
$200 solar actuator
$200 tile stringers
$1200 labor
$4700 total
(We will install a 9 panel NUVIS solar pool heater at your residence .pricing reflects panels, stainless steel roof mounting hardware, aluminum stringers, black pipe,check valves, solar actuator and installation of upgraded motherboard for your Jandy RS system... Limited lifetime warranty on panels , 1 year warranty on workmanship ... Total installed price $4700)

That price includes the upgraded RS900 jandy part that I need for my current Jandy system.

Sorry for the long post, but what is everyone's opinion? Have you guys heard of NUVIS panels? Lifetime warranty? Is his price reasonable? Thanks again!

For turn key that is not bad, as a DIY / with some paid labor project my similar sized (11 4x12 Techno Solis panels) ran in the $3,800 ballpark once you count incidentals (additional mounting brackets for the pipes, additional mounting screws, adhesive, etc alone ran over $200). Again my only concern is I have never heard of those panels.

Ike

p.s. My panels were $2,700 delivered including roof mounting hardware (paid about a $150 premium for 2 inch headers)

I looked at the Best Pool supply web page and it looks like these Aquasol panels are a Private Label version of the AquaTherm panels (installation manual is the AquaTherm manual with logo's and name removed) , these same panels are also sold by Elm Distribution under a different private label brand. Note private labelling programs shifts warranty burden to the private label company instead of the manufacturer.

Ike

p.s. The Elm branded panels made it to my final 3 in my selection process before opting for TechnoSolis instead

I can find no specification sheets on the Nuvis panels online, just some vague mention of type of panel, overmolded headers, etc.

Reactions: PoolNeedsHelp
I suspect these NUVIS panels are private label rebranded version of something already out there, but it is an unknown, worse yet there is a lot of marketing talk, but I find NO Technical specs, NO Installation manual (even the companies that only sell through dealers usually have pdf versions of the installation manual online), nothing but a lot of "trust us".

Fafco and Helicol are major brand panels, the only thing I have against them is they both are licensed installer oriented, and don't tend to court the DIY crowd. On a positive note for Fafco their VP joined this forum a while back and a couple months ago and for a few weeks at least actively participated in message threads including non solar pool related topics. If considering Fafco you might want to PM him his user id is fafcosolar, it looks like he last visited about 2 weeks ago.

Ike

I spent some time on the phone with Heliocol today, and after reading some threads, I am now leaning towards them. I have already been given an unofficial quote of $3850 for 9 panels installed on my tile roof. She will be swinging by the house tomorrow to check everything, and then will email me an official quote. I do like how Heliocol is LESS invasive on my rile roof vs Fafco. They may have a little less total BTU, but if I have 9 or 10 panels, I am not going to have a problem.

Also, after the first 12 years of full warranty, if a panel breaks, the lifetime warranty will allow me to purchase the panel at 50% off. Not really a lifetime warranty, but thats better than nothing.

Opinions? Decent price?

Again my only big negative about them is that you are tied to their dealer network. I would certainly get some references about their local dealer since that will be who you are working with, and remember they are not going to give you references where their were problems. Also be aware there is the chance your local dealer may go out of business leaving your area without support for future problems, this does tend to happen more in secondary markets though.

Ike

p.s. also some of their marketing material is a bit deceptive when comparing with other companies products.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK! I pulled the trigger and set my installation date up!! I did end up going with Heliocol. Here is my system:
(9) 4 x 12.5
(2) 4 x 8
Total of 510 SQFT of coverage. It will be setup by automatic control into my Aqualink. Price includes all parts and labor. $3,850

Whatcha guys think? My wife, my dogs, and myself are VERY excited! :) We are set up for a June 13th install. Perfect timing because I am getting my roof cleaned on June 10th. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.