Can I leave the winter cover on in MN until it gets warmer?

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
We still have our winter cover on. We siphoned most of the water off the cover. Yesterday I hooked up the pipes to the pump/filter so I could bring the water level back up. Slipped my hand under the cover (there's a gap because we couldn't get the wire any tighter). Here are my results with 2-3 more inches of water to add yet:

7.5 ph
15 fc
.5 cc
14.5 tc
140 ta
70-80 cya
56 temp (dang that's cold)

I know the temp was closer to 70 before I started adding water. Is it feasible/advisable to keep the cover on until the water gets closer to 70? I would keep an eye on the chemicals and start running the pump/filter today or tomorrow if you think this is a good idea. I am so not looking forward to our weather forecast of "rain/maybe we'll hit 75" one day next week.

Re: Can I leave the winter cover on in MN until it gets warm

It is best if you can open the pool before the water gets to 60 degrees. You can put it off longer than that, but the odds that algae will get started go up quickly as the water warms above 60.

JasonLion said:
It is best if you can open the pool before the water gets to 60 degrees. You can put it off longer than that, but the odds that algae will get started go up quickly as the water warms above 60.

Do the odds for algae increase because I wouldn't be able to brush thus not able to "stimulate" the water?

I'm doing the same thing also. I check FC level every other day and run pump for 4 hrs. I'll be taking off as soon as all the seed pods are off the maple tree. I don't need a pool full of
those things.

Water temp was 72 on the bottom when I checked the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

blondemarcello said:
Do the odds for algae increase because I wouldn't be able to brush thus not able to "stimulate" the water?
I don't think that really matters. Basically, algae growth rate increases with temperature. Most likely over the winter your FC level went to 0, so once algae starts to grow, there is nothing stopping it.

If you can get some chlorine in there and circulating like mentioned above, I would.

By the way after fixing the leaks in my solar panels today, our water got up to ~64F this afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.