Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member - Backyard patio

1. Back To Top    #1

New member - Backyard patio

Hi all, new member here. I am in the process of picking a pool builder and found this forum while searching some things about a pool that I don't know.

So, I just finished building a patio out back that is 30 x 14. It has 8 can lights on dimmer switches, 3 ceiling fans, 4 ceiling speakers, and a few outlets.

Start of the framing

Framing done, some electrical fixtures in place.

The gluelam pictured above was too small, my calculations were off. It was replaced with a larger one.

Electrical was ran and tested. The new gluelam in place, columns built out.

That's me taping the drywall.

My son inspecting our work...

Drywall finished, put the lights back in so I could work at night.

Ceiling painted, beam was stained, speakers are in, fans being hung and stucco being done.

Column with stone on the bottom, first coat of stucco.

Everything done except the flooring!

Start of the pavers being installed.

Pavers done!!

Furniture back on the patio.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member - Backyard patio

Very NICE!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, awesome!
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

4. Back To Top    #4

You Da' Man!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice!!!
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

6. Back To Top    #6

beautiful
    10,400k, AG 21 round, 1.0HP Waterway pump cartridge filter. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Great job! I love the columns. Can you give me some more info on how you done them? Looks like you framed them up with 2x4s boarded the bottom and used wire to stucco the top. Did you use real rock that needs mortar? We will be doing a gazebo soon and I love the look those posts give.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

8. Back To Top    #8

Turned out great, good job!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome, mbarizona. Sweet. When's the pool party? I'm SURE we are all invited!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all of the comments! We are pleased with the way it came out.

For the speakers, I ran CL3 speaker wire from my A/V receiver location inside the house. They are connected to zone 2, so I can play music to them while someone is watching tv inside. There is an app for my reciever (Sony STR-DA3600ES) so I control the power, input and volume from my iPhone/iPad and I also have the apple express router that can play my iTunes library to the speakers wirelessly. Very cool setup.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Great job! I love the columns. Can you give me some more info on how you done them? Looks like you framed them up with 2x4s boarded the bottom and used wire to stucco the top. Did you use real rock that needs mortar? We will be doing a gazebo soon and I love the look those posts give.
    Thank you!

You are correct, basically I framed it out, wrapped the top and the pop out with wire, used backer board on the bottom and attached the rock with mortar. The rock are faux rock, that's what is sold out here mostly.

We wanted to match the design of the front of the house, but we didn't want such a big rock. This is the front of the house.

Already framed:

The manufactured stone comes in flat pieces and corners. Since the columns are only 17" wide, we used mostly corners. The flat's were cut with a tile saw to fit in the blank places.

Here is the sample at the local manufatured yard.

Here we are attaching the stone.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the info. I was looking at those post wraps but this looks much better IMO.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

13. Back To Top    #13

The guy I hired to do the pavers was awesome! He as the cheapest at $4.00 per sf which included the pavers! Most companies wanted between $5.50 and $7.00. This guy came highly recommended from a good friend who uses him for a sub contractor.

Since his price was so good, we had him do some other areas. One of them being our front entry way.

This is the original front entry.

I rented a jack hammer and took out the 4 sections of concrete from the driveway to the entry so he could slope the pavers for runoff. See the 2 black lines about half way up? Those are drip lines that he put there for us.

The new front entry.

In each corner, there are 2 more drip lines. We have a red bench and 2 small palm trees planted in pots now.

I think he did a great job!

14. Back To Top    #14

VERY nice.
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

15. Back To Top    #15

WOW...$4.00 a sq ft is an absolute steal. Here in NH they range from $12 to $25 a foot....It came out really nice
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

16. Back To Top    #16

That is a sweet setup. Will be looking forward to see how your pool build goes and fits in.

Out of curiosity, did you leave provisions in your Zone 2 speaker wiring to be able to extend out and get some speakers around the pool itself?
    Ed Klein
    My Backyard Setup with Pictures
    Pictures of my Build Process
    27,000 gallons total
    IG plaster pool with waterfall/slide and 10' OD hot tub
    SWCG - Pentair IC-40 with Easytouch 8 automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS filter pump with 150gpm cartridge filter
    Built Summer 2012 - Houston, Texas area

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_ed
    That is a sweet setup. Will be looking forward to see how your pool build goes and fits in.

Out of curiosity, did you leave provisions in your Zone 2 speaker wiring to be able to extend out and get some speakers around the pool itself?
    Thanks!

Actually, I do. I am using a Monster Speaker selector so I don't screw up my A/V receiver. I have the Monster SS-6 and I am only using two sections, so I have room for 8 more speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-SS-6-S.../dp/B00004Y3UY

For the pool, one company has it spot on so far. I want to be able to see and hear the waterfall from the patio. I have an outside corner lot, in the middle of our neighborhood so it is a pie shaped lot. The pictures don't show the grass, and I am not going to do that path in pavers as large.

From the patio

Back side of house view

Side view 1

Side view 2

18. Back To Top    #18

Can you post test results with that?

Oh man, I kill myself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!