Newbie - Very high FC and other test results

Packman04

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2013
Greetings everyone. Within the past week I've purchased and moved into a home with a pool. It seems that the previous owner took very good care of it and had already opened it up for me. I am looking forward to using this great forum to keep my pool sparkling clean! As soon as I knew I was getting the house I purchased the TF-100 test kit and patiently waited to be able to test my pool chemistry:

FC: 24! (OTO test was burnt orange)
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 200
CH: 330
CYA: 0
Water temp: 69° - Let water come to room temp for CYA test.

I've read Pool School quite a few times now but I am not sure I've understand everything. Here are my thoughts:

1. Need to get the CYA raised by adding 291oz of liquid stabilizer (or 112oz of powder? stabilizer) Does this get purchased at a pool store?

2. I need to lower my TA. Do I do this buy purchasing acid (what acid?) to lower the pH temporarily and then raise the pH after the TA is at an acceptable level by aerating?

3. I need to get my FC lowered. Do I do this buy leaving the cover open on the pool during sunny days to 'burn' it off?

Assuming these solutions are correct which items do I want to tackle first?

Your responses are really appreciated! I'm looking forward to my new hobby and hope that I can become a contributing member at some point.

Welcome to TFP!

1) Pool stores, and the pool departments of big box hardware stores are really the only places that have CYA. Solid CYA is much less expensive.
2) Muriatic acid is best, dry acid (sometimes called PH Down) is acceptable. The lowering TA process will take a while, several cycles and many days.
3) A few hours of sunlight with the cover off will wipe out your chlorine with CYA that low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.