Ok, so I read through pool school and I'm still processing the info there. I filled up the pool, and tested the PH and Chlorine last night, and the PH was 7.2, and the chlorine was nonexistent. So, I put in a bag of HTH shock and swim last night. The directions on the bag said 1 to 2 bags for like 11,200 gallons of water, so I figured 1 bag would be plenty for my little 4,000 gallon pool. This morning, both the PH and the Chlorine (oto test) were off the charts, so I left the cover off the pool and the pump running. My wife retested the water, and now the chlorine test is completely clear, while the PH is at 7.5. I have a floating chlorine tablet dispenser as well. I am just wondering why the huge difference in the tests over just a few hours. I know I probaly need a more elaborate test kit, but the one I have right now tests for PH, Chlorine and Bromine. Do I even need something more elaborate for such a small pool? Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should add bleach and try and bring up the chlorine level. I didn't even know you could use it until I found this site. I really have a lot to learn, and could really use some good advice for my situation. Thanks!