Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New 15' x 42" AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New 15' x 42" AG pool

Ok, so I read through pool school and I'm still processing the info there. I filled up the pool, and tested the PH and Chlorine last night, and the PH was 7.2, and the chlorine was nonexistent. So, I put in a bag of HTH shock and swim last night. The directions on the bag said 1 to 2 bags for like 11,200 gallons of water, so I figured 1 bag would be plenty for my little 4,000 gallon pool. This morning, both the PH and the Chlorine (oto test) were off the charts, so I left the cover off the pool and the pump running. My wife retested the water, and now the chlorine test is completely clear, while the PH is at 7.5. I have a floating chlorine tablet dispenser as well. I am just wondering why the huge difference in the tests over just a few hours. I know I probaly need a more elaborate test kit, but the one I have right now tests for PH, Chlorine and Bromine. Do I even need something more elaborate for such a small pool? Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should add bleach and try and bring up the chlorine level. I didn't even know you could use it until I found this site. I really have a lot to learn, and could really use some good advice for my situation. Thanks!
    4000 gal. AG vinyl pool with cartridge filter & 80 watt 2.2 amp 1075 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New 15' x 42" AG pool

Welcome to tfp, Tommcgtx

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx
    Do I even need something more elaborate for such a small pool?
    What type of pool is it...an intex type that you can occasionally do a full drain/refill...or a more permanent agp?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx
    Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should add bleach and try and bring up the chlorine level. I didn't even know you could use it until I found this site. I really have a lot to learn, and could really use some good advice for my situation.
    This pool school article may help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide. In step 4 and 5 it talks about using dichlor to chlorinate while at the same time raising the cya...you can use bleach and granular stabilizer (cya) instead if you can't find the dichlor or if it is expensive (bleach/liquid chlorine and granular cya is my perfected approach).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've attached a stock photo of the pool. It's a summer escapes pool, basically like an Intex pool[attachment=0:w6l898uh]pool.jpg[/attachment:w6l898uh]
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Imo, that is still small enough that a drain/refill (assuming there are no other difficulties like water restrictions, metals in the water, no place to drain) is possible if needed. I think I would follow that article linked to above but I might skip the polyquat in step7 and just be vigilant with keeping the chlorine level up.

However, if this pool is a "test" to see if you like it (as was my case), I would invest in an appropriate test kit and start learning pool chemistry. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you!