What is the Life Expectancy of a Salt Cell?

G

Hi friends,

I posted this question at the end of an old thread, but decided to ask it on its own:

The SC-60 cell on my Total Control system is just reaching the 10,000 amp hour mark as we start year 5, and I am wondering what the expected life is.

In an earlier thread, Jason mentioned that the cell should average about 60,000 hours - which shocked me only because I thought the average is about 10,000! (Get it? SHOCKED me? A little pool humor - very little, I know... )

Can anyone confirm that the life is more like 60,000 hours - that this was not a typo? That would be great news, and very helpful as far as planning when I need to have a replacement on hand.

I did have an error message recently that said "Cell Inspect Due - SELECT to clear". I figured this is a built in pre-programmed 10,000 mile checkup that Aquacal built in - not really indicative of a problem. But it made me start thinking that I'd better be prepared with a new cell when it happens!

Thanks!
Elise Levine
Upstate NY

Units are important. I think Jason was suggesting perhaps 60000 amp-hours not 60000 hours. If the cell on average uses 7 amps, this would be about 8600 hours of run time and depending on the settings, this could be a good number of years. For example, in my case, my cell is about 7 years old and I run it about 4 hours of SWG on time in the summer and about 2 hours in the winter or a 3 hour per day annual average. So that is about 7665 hours so far. But different cell designs will most likely have different amp-hour life ratings so you would need to know the rating for your particular cell design.

60,000 is the expected AutoPilot cell lifetime in amp/hours, the same units that are reported in the diagnostic menu. This is not the same as hours, as mas985 explained. Remember, there is always some variation from unit to unit. I expect that your unit is large relative to the size of your pool, and thus should last quite a bit longer than the usual 3 to 5 years.

"Cell Inspect Due - SELECT to clear" is just a reminder to do routine servicing, not an indication of any problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.