Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the Life Expectancy of a Salt Cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the Life Expectancy of a Salt Cell?

Hi friends,

I posted this question at the end of an old thread, but decided to ask it on its own:

The SC-60 cell on my Total Control system is just reaching the 10,000 amp hour mark as we start year 5, and I am wondering what the expected life is.

In an earlier thread, Jason mentioned that the cell should average about 60,000 hours - which shocked me only because I thought the average is about 10,000! (Get it? SHOCKED me? A little pool humor - very little, I know... )

Can anyone confirm that the life is more like 60,000 hours - that this was not a typo? That would be great news, and very helpful as far as planning when I need to have a replacement on hand.

I did have an error message recently that said "Cell Inspect Due - SELECT to clear". I figured this is a built in pre-programmed 10,000 mile checkup that Aquacal built in - not really indicative of a problem. But it made me start thinking that I'd better be prepared with a new cell when it happens!

Thanks!
    Elise Levine
    Upstate NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the Life Expectancy of a Salt Cell?

Units are important. I think Jason was suggesting perhaps 60000 amp-hours not 60000 hours. If the cell on average uses 7 amps, this would be about 8600 hours of run time and depending on the settings, this could be a good number of years. For example, in my case, my cell is about 7 years old and I run it about 4 hours of SWG on time in the summer and about 2 hours in the winter or a 3 hour per day annual average. So that is about 7665 hours so far. But different cell designs will most likely have different amp-hour life ratings so you would need to know the rating for your particular cell design.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

60,000 is the expected AutoPilot cell lifetime in amp/hours, the same units that are reported in the diagnostic menu. This is not the same as hours, as mas985 explained. Remember, there is always some variation from unit to unit. I expect that your unit is large relative to the size of your pool, and thus should last quite a bit longer than the usual 3 to 5 years.

"Cell Inspect Due - SELECT to clear" is just a reminder to do routine servicing, not an indication of any problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    "Cell Inspect Due - SELECT to clear" is just a reminder to do routine servicing, not an indication of any problem.
    Mine just threw this message for the first time. What routine servicing do you do?
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Just visually inspect the cell for calcium scale build up. Otherwise, press and hold the SELECT button until it clears (about 8 seconds)
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com