Had algae problems last year, how to prepare for this year.

May 29, 2008
I've got an 18' intex above ground pool. Last year was my first year with it and I made plenty of mistakes. :) The biggest one is that I tried to level the site by hand and failed miserably. The side the filter was on was high, so I didn't get the right amount of suction. That problem, plus the woefully underpowered default filter, and other issues, left me with some greenish/blackish algae residue on the pool liner that I wasn't able to get rid of before putting away for the winter. I've paid someone to come level the land, got a new 4,000 gallon pump arriving Friday, and I'm looking to get everything up and running this weekend.

My question is, what should I do to completely get rid of the algae residue before setting it up? We're renting a powerwasher for the deck Saturday morning, so my first thought is to use that on the lowest setting to blast it off the liner, drain, repeat, etc. Will this work okay, or is it a horrible idea? Would something else work better?

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMO, it's easier to deal with the algae when it's submerged in water--e.g. after you fill the pool. High levels of chlorine will both kill the algae and help remove the stains. The single biggest thing you can do to prevent algae is to maintain your chlorine at a consistent level based on your CYA level. See the Chlorine/CYA Sticky This is far easier with bleach than with a floater or the addition of powdered shock.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Protusmose said:
If I go that route, how long will it take for the algae to dissipate and be filtered out? Will I have to clean the filter out immediately after the first cycle?

If you immediately raise the chlorine level, there won't be any growth, and you'll just have to get rid of the dried residue from last year. Hosing it before hand would reduce that.

Would a power washer on the lowest setting be too abrasive/powerful for getting the dried residue off? The bottom of the liner looks pretty thick, but I don't want to bust a seam or anything like that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.