Goldline pro logic issue or salt cell issue, where to start?

Mar 26, 2013
N.Florida
Hey all, here's the rub.

I've got a Goldline Pro Logic control unit (in the PL-PS-4,8,16 family) that is giving me a "high salt/Amps" reading and subsequently shuts the salt cell down. I know our salt is not high, I just had it tested and according to pinch a penny its 2900ppm. Also, the heat has kicked up the last two weeks here in N.FL with no rain so i've had to add water to the pool several times. Being a relative nubie to pool ownership, my gut feeling is that something has gone wrong with the control unit. We've owned the house/pool for just under a year and have had to replace 3 GLX relays (all failed with in a month), 1 pump and 1 T-15 salt cell. The pool was built in 2009. When the Hayward salt cell died we replaced it with a Compu pool generic plug and play replacement. So far it appears to be working fine.

Any suggestions or references to other threads would be greatly appreciated. I'm surely not above calling our pool professional but i'm trying to become more self sufficient where/when I can.

Thanks

Re: Goldline pro logic issue or salt cell issue, where to st

If you're popping all sorts of electrical, I'd start there by having that checked out.

I'm in N. Florida, (Tally) and I've had wildly differing results at the several pool stores in town with all the chemistry, salt being the worst variances.

Thanks dafuzz, I'm also in Tally and I'm about ready to get a test kit so I can perform my own chemistry checks. Looking at the Hayward website and reading their trouble shooting guide its starting to look like either our salt cell has shorted or we have a "faulty reading of the micro controller". If its the micro controller then we're looking at replacing the motherboard as a fix. I'm very glad we purchased the home warranty with the house.

Make sure the controller is setup for the correct cell size. Sometimes they forget which kind of cell you have, which can give that error. If the cell is set correctly, I'm much more inclined to trust the SWG's opinion of the salt level than a pool store test result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.