Pool infiltrated with bay water

May 24, 2013
Hello. First time poster. This site has always been a valuable tool for us and I thank you for it.

Question:
During hurricane sandy the adjacent lagoon overflowed and bay water entered the pool. We just opened it up to find a thick layer of mud at the bottom which we vacuumed up and at this point the water looks similar to other years (murky green) but I'm sure there is something different going on due to the saltwater (our pool is non-salt water). We anticipate cleaning the filter numerous times but are not sure about the addition of chemicals.
Should we do the typical shock start up we have in the past or is there another regimen we should conduct prior to this? I'm not sure if there is a process to get the saltwater neutralized before we shock.
Thanks for your help. :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

Your best bet would be to have the water tested for salt before you get too far in. 3000-4000ppm is tolerable and is where SWCG pools are typically maintained. Anything higher than that may call for draining the pool and replacing the water.

You could go ahead and start shocking the pool to get a jump on it, but all of your decisions are going to depend on test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.