First pool, first post

blackatom

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Been poking around on the forum a bit, seems as though it will be a great resource. Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit, can't wait to see all the cool Darn I get to dump in the water. Uncovered my pool last weekend fully expecting swamp city. Turns out the 2nd owner of my house had a heck of a time when he first opened the pool, and he didn't want anyone else to go through that trouble, it's looking great, but I'm sure the chemistrem is all wonky.

He took everything but the heater(obviously) and stored it for the winter, but somewhere along the line, the pump went missing. I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99? In. Just finished hard-lining the pump to the filter, installing some valves etc. My flow chart looks like this:
Skimmer >> 1.5 Flex Line >> 1.5 Ball Valve threaded into 2.0 Check Valve >> PVC Union >> Pump >> PVC Union >> Filter >> 1.5 Flex Line >> Heater >> 1.5 Flex line >> 2.0 Check Valve >> Mineralizer >> 1.5 Flex Line >> Pool

I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup. Thoughts? Any questions for me? I'm an industrial coatings inspector, so I figured if I ask you guys for pool advice, you might want to get a head start on painting your next bridge girders? :fro:

Welcome to tfp, blackatom :wave:

blackatom said:
Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit
I assume that is the tf-100, if so, good choice!

blackatom said:
I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99?
I would go with the 2-speed version of that pump. Most of the time you will want to run on low speed which will save you electricity and is more quiet.

blackatom said:
I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup.
I would try what you have for now and that will help you decide for the future what you want/need.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, blackatom :wave:

blackatom said:
Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit
I assume that is the tf-100, if so, good choice!
Yeah, just enjoyed using T-1000

linen said:
blackatom said:
I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99?
I would go with the 2-speed version of that pump. Most of the time you will want to run on low speed which will save you electricity and is more quiet.
Too late, and now reading the reviews for the 2 speed I think I should have gone that route.

linen said:
blackatom said:
I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup.
I would try what you have for now and that will help you decide for the future what you want/need.
Perfect.

Just noticed I missed a couple of things in your first post:

I don't think you really need check vavles, unless needed (like to keep an igp pump primed or to keep solar panels from draining into pull through a filter), they tend to just cause head loss.

Get rid of the "mineralizer"...you do not need metals in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.