Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: First pool, first post

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23

    First pool, first post

    Been poking around on the forum a bit, seems as though it will be a great resource. Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit, can't wait to see all the cool **** I get to dump in the water. Uncovered my pool last weekend fully expecting swamp city. Turns out the 2nd owner of my house had a **** of a time when he first opened the pool, and he didn't want anyone else to go through that trouble, it's looking great, but I'm sure the chemistrem is all wonky.

    He took everything but the heater(obviously) and stored it for the winter, but somewhere along the line, the pump went missing. I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99? In. Just finished hard-lining the pump to the filter, installing some valves etc. My flow chart looks like this:
    Skimmer >> 1.5 Flex Line >> 1.5 Ball Valve threaded into 2.0 Check Valve >> PVC Union >> Pump >> PVC Union >> Filter >> 1.5 Flex Line >> Heater >> 1.5 Flex line >> 2.0 Check Valve >> Mineralizer >> 1.5 Flex Line >> Pool

    I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup. Thoughts? Any questions for me? I'm an industrial coatings inspector, so I figured if I ask you guys for pool advice, you might want to get a head start on painting your next bridge girders?
    15k, AG, 1HP powerflo matrix, CC1500 cartridge, aquapro600 heater.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: First pool, first post

    Welcome to tfp, blackatom

    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit
    I assume that is the tf-100, if so, good choice!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99?
    I would go with the 2-speed version of that pump. Most of the time you will want to run on low speed which will save you electricity and is more quiet.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup.
    I would try what you have for now and that will help you decide for the future what you want/need.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23

    Re: First pool, first post

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, blackatom

    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    Just bought a Terminator T-1000 test kit
    I assume that is the tf-100, if so, good choice!
    Yeah, just enjoyed using T-1000

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    I looked around to see what kind of pump to get, and settled on the powerflo matrix 1hp, next day shipping from amazon prime $3.99?
    I would go with the 2-speed version of that pump. Most of the time you will want to run on low speed which will save you electricity and is more quiet.
    Too late, and now reading the reviews for the 2 speed I think I should have gone that route.

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by blackatom
    I should have some time this weekend to getting it running, but am really not sure if I should PVC everything, or if these flex lines will suffice? I don't really have a permanent setup.
    I would try what you have for now and that will help you decide for the future what you want/need.
    Perfect.
    15k, AG, 1HP powerflo matrix, CC1500 cartridge, aquapro600 heater.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: First pool, first post

    Just noticed I missed a couple of things in your first post:

    I don't think you really need check vavles, unless needed (like to keep an igp pump primed or to keep solar panels from draining into pull through a filter), they tend to just cause head loss.

    Get rid of the "mineralizer"...you do not need metals in your pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •