10ft Water Wall

Mar 16, 2013
Houston, TX
Our pool build is currently in progress (will post photos when I have more time), but I have a question. The original design for the pool includes a 10ft "water wall". It has a stacked stone front and is raised 18". The water is supposed to flow out of an very narrow opening (like a sheer descent without the plastic lip) spanning the entire 10ft of the wall. The pool builder told us today that it would be extremely hard to ensure than an even amount of water will exit the wall, and that we would have to run the motor at 100% in order to get the water to fall into the pool and not just dribble down the stacked stone (we don't want a weeping wall). Instead, he wants to put three 18" scuppers. His argument is that the scuppers will ensure an even flow, still have the "sheer descent" sheeting effect, and can create more water flow with less pump power.

I have to make the decision by the afternoon of May 24, 2013. This is what I do want:
  • Sheeting effect of water
  • Even water distribution
  • Water coming out from the entire wall
  • NO weeping wall effect

I prefer the 10ft water wall, but don't know if it will turn out as I am imagining it will be. Any insight is appreciated!

What would be feeding the 10' opening in the wall? I know with most waterfalls they recommend the plumbing terminate in a hidden "pool" so it can fill the pool and evenly flow over and down the waterfall... if all is level, that gives the best chance of an even flow at the lowest gpm flow rate.

How thick is the wall? I am not a PB... just a homeowner, and have still not yet turned on my waterfall (still being finished)... but if I am envisioning what you are looking for, I would say that if the wall is 1' or more deep, that you would have to find a way to design an internal trough along the top of the wall... may be 8" deep... that you could cap with stone, leaving a slight gap in the front for the water to flow out... then run a 2" or 2-1/2" PVC pipe the entire length, with large holes in the bottom or back every 6" or so (directed away from the openening sot it will fill the trough but not shoot streams out the slot)... fed from both ends by your water source. This is the way they did my waterfall, except it is a trough open to the air, just hidden behind rocks so you can't see the pool from the front... but, like I said, I have not turned it on yet, so I don't know how it will work... it seems like it should be fine... I just need to see if it will handle up to 150 gpm like my pump can deliver.

All this having been said... I think I agree with your PB that if it is just an opening in the wall, and not a lip that drops the water a few inches in front of the wall, you will probably have trouble getting the water to not dribble down the wall. A sheer descent takes about 12 gpm per foot... and they just fall off the edge. May be a lip just below the slot to get the water out in front of the wall would work, but then the opening is not so hidden any more.

Zodiac makes a 4' Sheer Curtain... that may be a good compromise... may be even two of them side by side? At least you know what you will get with them.

jtech1 said:
What would be feeding the 10' opening in the wall? I know with most waterfalls they recommend the plumbing terminate in a hidden "pool" so it can fill the pool and evenly flow over and down the waterfall... if all is level, that gives the best chance of an even flow at the lowest gpm flow rate.

How thick is the wall? I am not a PB... just a homeowner, and have still not yet turned on my waterfall (still being finished)... but if I am envisioning what you are looking for, I would say that if the wall is 1' or more deep, that you would have to find a way to design an internal trough along the top of the wall... may be 8" deep... that you could cap with stone, leaving a slight gap in the front for the water to flow out... then run a 2" or 2-1/2" PVC pipe the entire length, with large holes in the bottom or back every 6" or so (directed away from the openening sot it will fill the trough but not shoot streams out the slot)... fed from both ends by your water source. This is the way they did my waterfall, except it is a trough open to the air, just hidden behind rocks so you can't see the pool from the front... but, like I said, I have not turned it on yet, so I don't know how it will work... it seems like it should be fine... I just need to see if it will handle up to 150 gpm like my pump can deliver.

All this having been said... I think I agree with your PB that if it is just an opening in the wall, and not a lip that drops the water a few inches in front of the wall, you will probably have trouble getting the water to not dribble down the wall. A sheer descent takes about 12 gpm per foot... and they just fall off the edge. May be a lip just below the slot to get the water out in front of the wall would work, but then the opening is not so hidden any more.

Zodiac makes a 4' Sheer Curtain... that may be a good compromise... may be even two of them side by side? At least you know what you will get with them.

Thanks for the response.

I do have a question - we are using a Hayward Ecostar 2.5hp variable speed pump. At maximum power with 30 feet of head, the pump can push 166 gpm. Do you think I can avoid putting in a lip at the bottom? The only extra factor that complicates this problem, however, is the fact that this Ecostar feeds water to the waterwall AND pool circulation at the same time. I don't know how many gallons will be sent to the waterwall.

We are using a trough behind the waterwall with three 1.5" pvc pipes.

I think that I will talk to the pool builder about installing a flagstone lip below the opening to move the water in front of the rock face. You are probably right by saying that this lip will allow the water to not dribble down the front of the wall, but rather hit the pool surface instead. It should allow me to run the pump at a lower speed also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.