Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice. Caulking between fiberglass steps and decking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice. Caulking between fiberglass steps and decking?

I need some advice. My pool is an inground vinyl liner with cantilevered concrete decking. We just had it installed in January. I have noticed while swimming recently that there are a few gaps between the top of the fiberglass steps and the pool decking. This appears to just be an area where the concrete didn't settle all the way out to the bottom of the styrofoam cantilever forms. It doesn't appear to present any problem it just catches my eye every time I get in the pool and I don't want to take a chance on water getting back behind the steps over time if I can help it.

My question is what should I use to fill in this gap? Polyurethane caulk or is there something better to use? We are going to have a coating similar to Kool Deck applied in a few weeks but I would like to have this done before then so it can be painted over to match the coating. Any suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images
    16' x 32' inground vinyl liner pool, 18500 gallons, 2 person lazy lounge, Pacific Pools polymer walls, 2 floor drains, 1 skimmer, 5 returns, 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, 300 lb Hayward sand filter, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Autopilot DIG-220 SWG w/pump relay, Intellibrite 5G LED light, 780 sq ft cantilever concrete decking

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need advice. Caulking between fiberglass steps and deck

Don't know...maybe silicone? Someone must know.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Metro Detroit, Michigan (30 Miles north of Detroit)

I had the same question and it was answered. I dont know how to forward the link. So if you do a search under my screen name look for the post that says "dirt under cement coping" with photos. Hope this helps.
    15,800 gallons
    Sta Rite Cristal Flo Hi Rate Sand Filter Model # T240BP-1
    1 HP Sta Rite Dura Glass Pump
    Filter and Backwash Flow Rate 63
    Hayward 200000 BTU Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I would use polyurethane. It's a bear to work with (tape both sides of the joint before you start) but it stays pretty flexible and is paintable.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School