Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening pool an uncovered through offseason

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening pool an uncovered through offseason

Unfortunately due circumstances out of my control our pool was not covered this winter and although there is no serious damage i have a layer of leaves at the bottom that probably exceeds 2 inches, its a vinyl lined in ground pool, i have a place to dump the waste near by. Have you heard of anyone using an external pump to pump out leaves ex. a dredge pump. What kind of damage could i potentially be doing to my vinyl lining. Any other alternatives that does not include bagging or scooping leaves?
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 350 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch Wireless remote.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lovettsville, VA

Re: Opening pool an uncovered through offseason

Nope - just get a good net and start scooping! Even if its thick it won't take that long and there really isn't any other option. I haven't covered my vinyl lined in ground pool in the winter in over 10 years, but I don't have any trees nearby the pool and I just go out a few times over the winter and scoop leaves and debris instead of letting it build up for the entire season. My pool opening is never any problem!
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Opening pool an uncovered through offseason

What you need is a leaf rake. A strong pump could grab at the liner and pull it up, which will make your current troubles look like nothing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!