Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add salt before cleaning pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add salt before cleaning pool?

My signature shows a swg but it is not running yet because I am in the process of clearing my pool.
    Can I just add the salt while it is still milky so I can turn it on and let it help with the shocking process? The amount of bleach is killing me!
    What do you guys think?
    41000 gal. Inground vinyl, full sun,1.5 hp superpump, S244Tsand filter, compupool swg,BBB since 2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add salt before cleaning pool?

danc:

I would leave the SWG off until you finish the shock process. While the SWG would add some chlorine, the amount added would be negligible relative to the amount of chlorine needed to maintain shock level FC. So, either way, you will still use prodigious amount of bleach. As the pool cleans, the FC demand will come down which will reduce your bleach usage.

Assuming you have run test results so you know how what your shock FC target is for your CYA.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Target is 12 ppm at 20 cya, i lost 2ppm overnight, 4 ppm during the day
    Thought I read that the compupool rj60 will do 6ppm per 8hr period at 100%
    Will the salt mess anything up?
    41000 gal. Inground vinyl, full sun,1.5 hp superpump, S244Tsand filter, compupool swg,BBB since 2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

The salt won't mess anything up, but a bunch will get wasted as you backwash, vacuum to waste etc. Not to mention the wear on your cell. Have a little POP (Pool Owner Patience) and you will soon be adding salt and enjoying a trouble free pool experience.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah hold off on the salt. I managed to open my pool using 1 lb of chlor hypo shock, 5 gallons of 12.5% and some granular CYA.

Once the water was mostly clear and the dead algae gone I kicked the SWG on a fairly low %-age since the FC is still coming down from the shock.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

6. Back To Top    #6

I know, I am getting impatient, having filter issues, am actually upgrading to a s360t2, it should be here Tuesday, been looking at this milky mess for almost 3 weeks, not to mention the pallet of Bleach!