Pool been running a week, here are results????

May 23, 2013
Deville, LA
Hello all, I am a total noob to the pool world but have been reading a bit but still a little (lot) confused. anyways here is my story filled the pool up about a week ago, city water got my paper filter pump going for 24hours and then added 140lbs of pool salt, set my swg for 4 hours a day as the book said to do and after a week this is my test results

fc 0
cc 0
ph 8.4
ta 180
ch 250
cya 100

the water seems to have a greenish tint to but I have a clear swg and the water going threw it looks crystal clear. Any suggestions? Oh I am using aquachem test strips I know they are not as good as a kit but it is what I have at the moment, I will get a kit ASAP. Thanks

Welcome to tfp, ididthatwell :wave:

Yes the test strips are likely wrong...especially regarding cya. Do you believe your cya is really high...i.e. have you used a lot of trichlor pucks, dichlor, or added stabilizer in the past?

If yes, then it is likely your cya is high and you may want to consider draining and refilling to start from 0. Is your pool an intex type?

ididthatwell said:
the water seems to have a greenish tint to but I have a clear swg and the water going threw it looks crystal clear.
Is it cloudy in the pool or is the water just clear but tinted? If just clear but tinted, then it sounds like metals in the water (probably iron...though this is less common when using municipal water) and may disappear once you lower your ph. If you are not going to drain now, then use poolcalculator.com to calculate how much Muriatic Acid to lower from 8.4 down to 7.4 and add it at the water return to the pool while the pump is running. Then with pump still running test again in an hour and repeat process until your ph is down ~ 7.4.

I would recommend getting one of the recommended test kits. But if you do decide to do a drain/refill then you might be able to get by with the HTH kit mentioned in the link for now.

Yeah, I am not sure those test strips are correct. I am going to take a sample to a pool store and get better reading. Do you think draining the pool and starting over will help? I mean I did not add any chemicals so won't it just be the same way? all I did was run the pump and add salt? yes my pool is a intex. Its not cloudy at all very clear just tinted.

If you didn't add any CYA to your pool, it does not occur naturally so you have 0 CYA.

Throw the strips as far as your strength will allow....better, give them to someone you really don't like.

The pool store results probably aren't much better. Get yourself a GOOD test kit and learn how to manage your own water.

Meanwhile, you have NO FC in your pool. How did you chlorinate last year?

We did it manually but never got it right and gave up quick, did not use but one or 2 times at the begining. I am going to get some stabilizer tomorrow and some Liquid chlorine and see what I can do. I have some ph minus and slowing getting the ph down, going to test in the morning and work on getting that down and then will add the stabilizer and bleach. I ordered a good kit online today but in the mean time I went to walmart and got the 6 way test kit they sell there.

Because you only filled a week ago with city water, I question your pH is that high (Have you thrown out those strips, yet?)

The 6-way you just bought seems to do pretty good on pH so check what it says before you start putting in acid or anything else to lower pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes I think I am ready to shock, water looks pretty clear but I do have a few water bugs in I guess Boatman? This what I am testing now with the walmart hth 6 way test. Not really sure about how to shock yet, need to do more reading unless you can walk me threw it?
fc 5
ph 7.5
ta 180
ch 300
cya na

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.