Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie with an oops!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie with an oops!!!

Hi y'all. So I've begun my battle with the green algae in my pool. I was shocked that it only took two hours for it to turn gray...until my hubby confessed that he shocked the pool the pool before I came home. No biggie, except that I shocked it too. (I know I should've tested the chlorine level...I'll never forget again). So now my FC is 50!!!!

The rest of my test results are as follows:
    Ph 7.6
    TA 50
    CYA less than 30
    Ch - don't check

We had a big rain after I poured the bleach in, and we're backwashing and adding fresh well water. Is the FC ok being that high in the short term???
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie with an oops!!!

It won't stay at 50 for long. Not much you can do about it now but keep your fingers crossed. You might as well get out there and brush and take advantage of the hypershock level and really expose the hidden algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is high, but I would just let it come down, make sure you leave the cover off especially when the sun is on the pool to help. Very high chlorine levels can bleach liners, but at your level (~ 8 ppm HOCL is equal to 50 ppm FC with 30 ppm cya) I think it takes prolonged exposure (days to weeks) to happen.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hopefully, the forecast in Roanoke calls for sunshine tomorrow. That will burn off a good amount of FC. The chlorine at such high levels will drop a lot faster than at a normal FC. The water dilution will help somewhat, but a good sunny day is what you need. If you have a cover, leave it off tonight or get up very early and take it off.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't use a solar cover, so no worries there. I will hope for sunshine tomorrow and let the FC come down to the shock level the pool calculator gave me. I brushed the pool walls once this evening and will again in the morning. We don't have the steps in the pool yet, so there's not much to brush.

Should I throw the pool vacuum in tomorrow, or do I save that for later?

Thanks for all the great advice and support!
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by karmazrevenge
    Should I throw the pool vacuum in tomorrow, or do I save that for later?
    Since you are in the process of shocking I would wait.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.