Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am having trouble with my bromine level, it keeps dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

I am having trouble with my bromine level, it keeps dropping

I can't keep my bromine level up in my 18X33 above ground pool. My water is clear, my alkalinity and ph are in the good range. I have a in line bromine feeder and have it on high, I also use borate and the levels are good for that as well. I heavily shocked it 48 hours ago and my bromine level is near zero this evening. I used 10 bags of good Chlorine shock and my levels was sky high but came down fast yesterday and today. I have no idea what is burning up my bromine nor how to correct it. I have had the pool 13 years and never had this issue. I did have some light brown dust stuff on the bottom of my pool but I have vacuumed it a few times and that is now gone. I really could use some easy helpfull suggestions.
    Frank, Northern Ca. 45,000 gallon 1 year old 20 x 50 inground, white plaster, Aqua Matic automatic cover, 525 sq foot cartridge filter, 1.5 hp variable speed Hayward Pump, Nature in line chlorinator, Polaris Pool Sweep with 3/4 hp aux. pump. 400,000 BTU Sta Rite propane heater. All equpment located below actual pool surface elevation

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: I am having trouble with my bromine level, it keeps drop

Bump. We don't really recommend bromine for above ground or inground pools (outdoors) and I have no hands on experience with Bromine. Hopefully someone will be along soon to chime in.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner