Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump cord is melted

1. Back To Top    #1

pump cord is melted

Bad news......my doughboy pump stopped working- and I looked and noticed that the outlet plug is black and melted on one prong.....I am not sure what to do at this point? Just buy a new pump? I don't even know if the pump will work since I can't plug it in. I was adding bleach to my pool tonight when I got home from work and noticed it wasn't running-
    I need to add bleach but have no way to circulate it- and I have had my solar cover on for three days...what should I do?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump cord is melted

burned plug is often a sign of corrosion in the outlet causing over heating, you may only need to replace the outlet and the plug on the end of the cord if your lucky.

p.s. you could use a boat paddle to stir your water after adding chlorine, when my pool pump was out a couple of months ago I used an engine powered "trash" pump to stir my pool water, I just happened to have it around
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you think my pool store would have a temporary pump I could use while they try to fix the old pump?
    I will have to call them tomorrow morning?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

4. Back To Top    #4

if I have to buy a new pump do I just go with the same 3/4 hp like my old one...is the piping dimensions the same for all brands?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

5. Back To Top    #5

If I were just looking for a pump to circulate water and get by with for a couple of days with a pool your size I would look at Harbor freight or even one of the cheap Intex pumps from Wal-Mart, etc. that could be plugged into a heavy duty extension cord (use a GFCI OUTLET)

Like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-horsepo ... 68486.html

or this

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-horsepo ... 69297.html

Note these are not UL listed for pool use, so no one should be in the water while they are running.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Happy to report that after cutting the cord and adding a new plug and outlet...everything is up and running
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

7. Back To Top    #7

Did it have a plastic cover over the outlet that closes over the cord while it's plugged in?
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing