Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using well water to fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Using well water to fill

Have a friend with an inground pool. Every year they uncover the pool and it looks good but is green before you know it since they fill with well water. I thought maybe to get the water up to a shock level before they start adding well water might help. Is there a better way? They use chlorine from the pool store, I think.
    24' round AG, Standard sand pump/filter setup. 1/2 cup DE for good measure

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using well water to fill

lbcornett:

Welcome to TFP

Usually, the biggest concern with well water is iron (Fe). Sometimes the water in pools filled with well water containing iron will turn green when chlorine is first added and this can be mistaken for algae. The green on a freshly-filled well water pool should go away in a day or two. If not, you can use metal sequestrant to deal with the iron. Note that sequestrants do not remove the iron. Instead, it binds to the metals and prevents them from depositing as stains. Since sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, periodic additions are necessary to maintain the correct level.

Quote Originally Posted by lbcornett
    They use chlorine from the pool store, I think.
    Do you know what type of chlorine this is? If it's from a pool store, it is likely one of the following: trichlor pucks, dichlor, cal-hypo, or any of these that are combined with an algaecide.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

There's a ton of threads about this if you use the search feature.

Iron is the biggest problem. Well, you'll be able to read about it if you try the link. I'll stop typing now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

They're pretty sure it's algae but I'll suggest that it could be iron and I'll let them go from there. No idea what kind of chlorine they've been using. I've tried for a couple of years now to get them to switch over to "our" way of thinking and finally today they asked on their own about it. Maybe new converts on the way! Thanks for the threads on iron Richard.
    24' round AG, Standard sand pump/filter setup. 1/2 cup DE for good measure