Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sticky pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

sticky pump motor

Hi I am going to someday be moving into a short sale house (once the sellers bank gives the word) with pool that needs a new filter and pump motor. The motor at first only hummed and did not start and then blew a breaker. I separated the motor from the housing and removed the diffuser (oooh the technical terms). I then spun the impeller and it barely moved, but once it did it, which only took another second or so of coaxing, it moved well. I plugged it in again and it started fine. Since then I have plugged it in more than 5 times over a couple without issue every time it started fine.

So my question is should I lube it with anything? Anything else I should do? The rubber rings look good.

Here is a picture of motor specs.

Thanks

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sticky pump motor

The bearings are probably going bad and will need to be replaced or the motor replaced.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: sticky pump motor

There is no noise like car wheel bearings. I guess I will just budget for replacement one day. I will run more tests and if it starts every time hope for the best for now. The motor had not been started in awhile.

Thanks
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit