95% liquid chlorine?

May 13, 2013
Southern Cal
Someone just told me about a local pool store that sells 95% liquid chlorine. I'm currently using 10%.

1. Is it a bad idea to use liquid chlorine with 95% chlorine for any reason?
2. Won't a liquid chlorine of 95% have less salt to leave behind?

Thanks.

No, they dont. With out getting into one of 1000 different reasons, safety and liability is why they could never sell that to the public, if such a product existed, however only x amount of chlorine gas can be dissolved in water. Not to mention the extreme difficulty in properly measuring it, leaving no room for error. You would be measuring in milliliters not ozs. Though most of us would love to buy one jug a year not 200 plus:)

hahaha

I thought that seemed way high compared with what I have. My pool guy is the one who told me about it, and he told me this is what he uses, and he told me where to go get it, so I'm going to go check and see what they are really have for sale....I will just add this as another reason I'm learning to do all of this to get rid of my pool guy..

The highest concentration of liquid chlorine you will ever see sold retail is 18%, and that is quite unusual. In most areas 12.5% is the highest concentration sold. Concentrations above 40% are possible in the lab, but they break down very quickly and are extremely hazardous to work with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liquid chlorine at over 90% does actually exist. However it is for industrial use, and would be completely impractical, as well as extremely dangerous to use in a pool, not to mention expensive as you'd have to buy it in bulk. The highest concentration of chlorine available is chlorine gas, and is 100% pure. However, the use of chlorine gas is dangerous, potentially deadly, and not recommended for average home owners. And guess what, the end result of adding chlorine gas to your pool still results in added salt, just like all forms of chlorine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.