Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 95% liquid chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

95% liquid chlorine?

Someone just told me about a local pool store that sells 95% liquid chlorine. I'm currently using 10%.

1. Is it a bad idea to use liquid chlorine with 95% chlorine for any reason?
    2. Won't a liquid chlorine of 95% have less salt to leave behind?

Thanks.
    27,300 gallons / IG / Plaster / Spa / Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 95% liquid chlorine?

No, they dont. With out getting into one of 1000 different reasons, safety and liability is why they could never sell that to the public, if such a product existed, however only x amount of chlorine gas can be dissolved in water. Not to mention the extreme difficulty in properly measuring it, leaving no room for error. You would be measuring in milliliters not ozs. Though most of us would love to buy one jug a year not 200 plus
    29,000 gallon kidney, 1, hp1.25 sf pentair, ta 100d sand filter plaster and fiberglass.

3. Back To Top    #3

HoosierDaddy is correct, for the most part, the highest percentage available in liquid form is 12.5%.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

hahaha

I thought that seemed way high compared with what I have. My pool guy is the one who told me about it, and he told me this is what he uses, and he told me where to go get it, so I'm going to go check and see what they are really have for sale....I will just add this as another reason I'm learning to do all of this to get rid of my pool guy..

5. Back To Top    #5

My guess is he is talking about trichlor...that has an available chlorine by weight in the 90% range.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Umm...if he kept it at close to zero kelvin...

Just "maybe" it's possible.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    My guess is he is talking about trichlor...that has an available chlorine by weight in the 90% range.
    He specifically said it was chlorine...What do you mean it has an available chlorine by weight in the 90% range? Are you saying it is chlorine or trichlor?

8. Back To Top    #8

Trichlor is a dry form of chlorine often sold in puck form. When used it also adds cya, lowers ph, lowers TA and adds chlorine to your pool. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

9. Back To Top    #9

My CYA is high and I just talked with him about it, and removed my floater with Trichlor tabs based on this forum, so if he used some type of chlorine that includes Trichlor I will not be happy....

10. Back To Top    #10

The highest concentration of liquid chlorine you will ever see sold retail is 18%, and that is quite unusual. In most areas 12.5% is the highest concentration sold. Concentrations above 40% are possible in the lab, but they break down very quickly and are extremely hazardous to work with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Liquid chlorine at over 90% does actually exist. However it is for industrial use, and would be completely impractical, as well as extremely dangerous to use in a pool, not to mention expensive as you'd have to buy it in bulk. The highest concentration of chlorine available is chlorine gas, and is 100% pure. However, the use of chlorine gas is dangerous, potentially deadly, and not recommended for average home owners. And guess what, the end result of adding chlorine gas to your pool still results in added salt, just like all forms of chlorine!
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

12. Back To Top    #12

Here you go.

Minimum order, 25 metric tons. 10,000 metric ton per month supply ability. Anyone want to go in halfsies with me?
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by thehowheels
    Here you go.

Minimum order, 25 metric tons. 10,000 metric ton per month supply ability. Anyone want to go in halfsies with me?
    China probably the only country that allows it to be transported, almost all countries require anything over about 50% to be generated on site its so unstable.
    29,000 gallon kidney, 1, hp1.25 sf pentair, ta 100d sand filter plaster and fiberglass.