I opened my pool two days ago, backwashed and rinsed my filter and gave it an initial shock with a 1lb bag of ProTeam Power Magic AC Superoxidizer (Calc hypoch 47.6%; sodium tet 20.0%) and 12 oz of concentrated algaecide. I didn't test first as I hadn't found my strips yet. There was some brownish powdery substance on the bottom today when I brushed (all very loose and none on the sides) so I think it was probably a mix of some dead algae and pollen (apple trees downwind have been in full bloom this week and there were lots of petals and stamens in the skimmer).
Today my levels were:
I added bleach to bring the FC up to 10 and then added muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 and am aerating to try to bring the TA down a bit. The pool actually looks great!
How many days do I need to keep my pool at shock levels? I want to avoid the algae problems I had last year, so I'm willing to keep it up there as long as necessary, but don't really want to dump more chemicals in there than I have to.