Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First opening after MN winter! Water still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

First opening after MN winter! Water still cloudy

We put in a "grain bin" pool last summer ( my husband is a contractor so we did it ourselves) and despite my reservations and because of my husbands enthusiasm and talents it went really well! We have a SWG and I have to say it worked like a charm. As newbies we used the test strips and had one small outbreak of algae when we were away a couple of hot days and the SWG didn't quite keep up. We shocked and did super chlor and it cleared up. Otherwise beautiful water all 2 months of our season! We got the temp up to 85 with a solar panel, almost too warm! Certainly warmer than our MN lakes!

So because of such a good first year we thought we were doing great. Thus, we were a little negligent with closing and didn't have our chemistry right ( just strips, no test kit) so we ended up with a green leafy mess this spring. After much reading here at tfp I followed the shock process as accurately as I could with test strips and a Walmart test kit while we waited for the TF100, which arrived today. The water cleared from green to gray within two days so we thought we were doing things right. But the water after a week and a half now is blue but still cloudy. So my test results today at about 10 am
    FC 30
    CC 1
    TA 450 (tested this twice to be sure, water went blue then yellow rather than red due to high FC)
    Salt 4000
    CYA 75
    PH 7.3
    CH 380
    Borates 30
    The water is about 65 degrees right now, still waiting for it to stay warm at night. We know we're probably crazy but we were hoping to swim by June 1st. Its been a long winter!

So guess I'm wondering if we should add the de to the sand filter. The filter is running well and we have been back washing every couple of days and scrubbing and vacuuming. Is the cc level the issue or the high alkalinity? Guess after all the reading I can't decide if it's a chemistry issue or a filter issue or If we should add clarifier.
    Thanks for your input. This is my first post, sorry if it is too lengthy !
    7600 gal 18 ft round AG grain bin pool with vinyl liner.
    1.5 hp pump with 22" sand filter
    SWG
    solar pool heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First opening after MN winter! Water still cloudy

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the CC certainly points to continuing the shock process. You can certainly try the DE to see if that speeds up the clearing.

Does the pressure in the filter keep rising? Are you backwashing only when it goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pressure hasn't risen that dramatically in the filter. Normally sits at 12 without diverter to solar panel and 15 with diverter on. It might rise a point or two. I guess we just keep back washing every couple days hoping that would help clear the cloudy. Is there such a thing as back washing too often? Also, can you get de at a home depot type place or where? Never used the stuff before.
    7600 gal 18 ft round AG grain bin pool with vinyl liner.
    1.5 hp pump with 22" sand filter
    SWG
    solar pool heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, the sand may trap more stuff as it get dirtier to a point.

Yes you can get pool DE at any hardware store just about, or Walmart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!