Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Critique my Plumbing Setup (Simple AGP Job)

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Critique my Plumbing Setup (Simple AGP Job)

I have this now: Pentair 1hp Optiflow, Clean and Clear cartridge filter, Hayward Skimmer, gate valve, crappy hoses and clamps

I'd like to do this:

Return Side:
    pool==1.5"elbow==SWG unit==2" elbow==bushing==1.5" flexible PVC pipe==bushing==2"elbow==filter union

Suction Side:
    Skimmer ==1.5" female adapter==1.5" PVC pipe==Sch 80 union==1.5" spigot sweep elbow==1.5" flexible PVC pipe==space saver union==valve==1.5 spigot adapter--pump

Its a simple setup, just wanted to get some feedback before I glue it up. The elbows under the skimmer and SWG will rest on the ground to provide some support. Flexible PVC pipe will connect everything.

I'm wondering about the elbows. Should I change the two 2' elbows to sweep elbows to get better flow? Conversely I just read too little head pressure may not be good - too noisy and may be too much flow for filter - should I change the two 2" elbows to 1.5" elbows. Am I over thinking this

Also the union next to the valve is a 1.5" Slip by 1.5" Spigot I picked it up from to save space. Its not schedule 40 or NSF rated. Should I stick with or use an adapter and a more more robust Sch 80 union I have available?

Anything else I should consider changing?

Thanks for looking, Joe

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Please Critique my Plumbing Setup (Simple AGP Job)

Are those sweep elbows schedule 40?

I would just use regular Sch 40 90s and not worry about the sweeps.

Is that a Hayward SWG? I thought they all have external flow switches (or maybe this is for AG pools and it is integrated?)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

The Aquatrol RJ model doesn't have a flow switch so make sure it gets installed right at the return fitting vertically. I think that's going to make a good job.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The sweep is supposed to be sch 40 and rated:
    But its not marked as such so I'm going to send a to confirm.

Yep. The SWG is an Aquatrol RJ and will be installed vertically at the return fitting.

Thanks for the replies.