Salt Generator for 8k pool?

arm

May 5, 2013
Lake George, New York
I'm getting an Aquawood 12x24 semi-above ground insulated pool (8000 gal.) with a Pentair 40 w/ 1.5 hp and a Raypak Versa 130k NG heater with cupro-nickel as I'm thinking of going with the Intellichor IC20. Is this the best choice in a less than $400 generator or what other should I consider? How about the Intex 54601EG? Specs say it can handle pools up to 12k. I see this model can be had for about $120. Good deal or stay away?

Welcome to tfp, arm :wave:

I have the intex cs8110 (which was the 54601) which may be the same as the 54601EG you are looking at (not sure since it seems Intex changes there designs without always changing their model numbers). It works great for my 11000 gallon pool. With that said, it is a no frills swg and it is really is not intended for permanent pool installs.

As for the pump, I would consider a 2-speed ~ 1hp pump. It will be quieter and save you electricity, since most of the time you would run on low.

The problem with the IntelliChlor is that it does not allow for good output control (Unless you have automation). It has 0, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 %. In most cases, the cell will over chlorinate or under chlorinate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.