Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains With New Plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains With New Plaster

I just had my pool plaster redone and I have some stains in different parts of my pool, I have tried brushing and it will not come off. My pool has been plastered for two weeks now. I have not ran my heat at all and just put my pool sweep in for the first time yesterday. My ph has been high since the plaster job around 8.0 I managed to get it down a bit. My calcium level is where it should be around 250. My cholrine level has been low, I just got it up to about a free cholrine level 3.00 yesterday. Not sure if my stains are organic or metal stains. Any help would be appreciated. I put a lime and a chorline tablet on two different stains and did not see either of them dis appear or lighten. Attached are some pics. Do you think these stains will go away on their own with chorline now in the pool cause I did not have any free chorline in the pool until now.[attachment=0:3v7ah2au]Pool 3.jpg[/attachment:3v7ah2au] Here is a picture of my steps
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains With New Plaster

If they are organic stains, chlorine will bleach them out.

Before you do anything else, call the contractor. If it's only been two weeks, he ought to do something about it, even if it's nothing more than look at them and tell you they're organic.

And if he doesn't do anything, then come back and search for stains. There are ways to differentiate between organic and metal stains, but you don't want to do anything that might affect the plaster until the plasterer has had his chance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The stains may be simply dirt that has stuck on the surface.
    The best way to remove dirt stains is to use 100 grit wet&dry sandpaper and sand for a few seconds.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the water need to be drained when applying the sand paper

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dave32cu
    Does the water need to be drained when applying the sand paper
    Nope. Not if you get the wet or dry paper. It's actually designed for wet sanding at body shops. It will say on the back of the sheet if it's wet or dry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!