New Pool Build in Missouri

May 23, 2013
So after contemplating the expense and waiting for our daughters to get to a suitable age, we finally made the enormous decision to build a backyard pool. We've always wanted one, but it was never the right time, not that there ever is. Kind of like having kids!

After interviewing and receiving bids from 5 - 6 builders we settled on the one that made us feel the most comfortable. We have several weeks before excavation begins, so I'm driving myself crazy re-thinking everything. I plan to add pics as the process gets underway through to completion, but wanted to throw out the specifics and see if I missed anything. Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

16 X 38 Double Roman, Sterling Steel Shell
3.5 - 6.0 depth
10' Roman Granite Blue Acrylic Steps
20 mil Davinci Vinyl Liner
Stamped concrete cantilever coping
3 Fiberstar PAL LED muli-color lights
Waterway Champion 1.0 HP Pump
Pentair TA-60 Sand Filter
Eco-Matic Salt Chlorine Generator
Fiberstar Controlle w/ remote
Suction side automatic cleaner (The Pool Cleaner)
Raised planter beds along back with 3 shear descents

Since we didn't opt for the heater at this time, I guess I'm going to need a solar cover. Any one have suggestions on the best kind and color? We are having everything prepared for a heater down the road if needed, but for this season we are just going to make do.

I was informed by the PB that we are 3 weeks out. Time for me to get some of the bushes out of the way and get the kids playhouse moved for the equipment. UGH!

Talked to PB last evening...

- Permits submitted and awaiting approval
- HOA application submitted and awaiting approval
- Irrigation guy scheduled to move some heads and valve boxes to keep from getting trashed
- Layout to begin in 7-9 days with the dig to commence a day or two after

Looks like we're making some progress! I've attached a couple pics of the existing yard. The pool and deck will basically take up the entire grassy area.

Let me know if anyone sees anything that is cause for concern or that I should pay special attention to during the construction phase.

KJK

Attachments

• Yard Before 3.jpg
    Yard Before 3.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 700
  • Yard Before 2.jpg
    Yard Before 2.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 699
  • Yard Before.jpg
    Yard Before.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 700
Looks like a Really nice Pool, I am just starting my research now. I am leaning towards a Roman with Roman steps just like yours, but 20X41. We want a water feature, we were thinking about a Spillover Spa, but I am going to price out something similar to what you did, I like it.

WWells,

We have 630 sq. ft. of concrete bid at this point, but will make the final decision once we have the layout in the yard and we can visualize what it will all look like. And yes, the fence is in the budget, just haven't started it yet.

KJK

Construction is starting to pick up now that the rain and holiday is behind us. Shouldn't be too long now if the dry weather can hold out.

Attachments

• construction1.jpg
    construction1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 415
  • construction2.JPG
    construction2.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 418

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, looking at your pics...that all looks very familiar :) Bobcat 864, all the equipment, etc. Here is my build if you want to see the whole Pool Pros process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/post510811.html#p510811

As for Pool Pros in general, we interviewed several and were most comfortable with them. The owner (Jeff) was very professional...and over the course of the build we really liked Pat, the foreman. There were for sure things along the way we questioned/requested and Pat got it taken care of pretty quickly. After hearing all the horror stories from neighbors and online, we think they did a good job. Having said that, there were a few things that we caught as they were building...that would be harder to correct after the fact. We were on top of the process mostly thanks to this forum :mrgreen:

Here are my random thoughts after on the build...we have been using the pool for about 2 months now.

The good
* The workers showed up daily and put in a full day. A crew of 2-4 were there nearly every day. This was great. They worked weekends many times as well.
* They worked in the rain even, very impressed with the work ethic
* The foreman Pat was very accommodating. Sometimes he would say "That is not really needed" when we asked for something...but if we wanted it, they did it.
* They continued to show up and work even after most of the money was paid, towards the end.
* They did not skimp on a lot of things, like pouring a big pad as standard, using large piping, backfill with good rock, etc

Things to be careful on
* Main thing is to really review your contract as the build is going on. It seems the workers are not aware of the details in your contract and just build the "default" pool For example...We wanted each skimmer plumbed separate and I made sure it was in our contract. The owner told us "we always plumb the skimmers separate". When the worker started plumbing the skimmers were not separate. I caught it right away, but they would not have done this if I had not noticed. This happened on quite a few items, like an extra landscape light that was in the contract, specific brand of sheer descents, etc.
* Second big thing is concrete if you are getting that. We got colored concrete and they kept telling us how they use coloring mixed at the plant because it is more consistant, then they pour our concrete and it is not colored. They instead used a color hardener powder that is shaken on top. They said the concrete guy was the expert, so he does what is best. In the end, they did not use enough color, so our concrete is not as dark as it should have been. Bottom line is if you do colored concrete, it might not turn out the color you think. Having said all that, the quality of the concrete work was really good. Control joints, finishing, coping, etc were really well done. Color was the issue, not workmanship.
* The pool floor is a vermiculite mix. It has a nice feel, however it is really wavy. Looks great at day, but at night with lights it looks like the moon. Not sure there is much you can do about it, but fyi.

Feel free to PM me if you want. Several folks really helped me out on our build this spring...so I am happy to pay it forward :)

Oh, on last thing. I ordered the TF100 test kit from this site (and donated) before the pool was done, and read pool school many times. Once the PB filled our pool, I had it looking great right away and it has been perfect ever since. It is great knowing how to take care of the pool and understanding what to do. The reason I say that is once the liner was in and the water filling up...the foreman added a dozen or so bags of salt and left. We did not see them for another 10 days or so. I am not sure if they did not return assuming we knew how to take care of the water (since he knew we were educated)...but if you want them to help get your water going...make sure to ask. I would hate to have a green pool on the initial fill and not see them for a week or two. Again, we did not ask for their pool school...but it was part of the contract....we just never got it....which was fine....did not really need/want it...thanks to the TF100 :)

Thanks for some great information and I checked out your pool build. You must be really happy with the end result. I sure would be!

I agree with you on the work ethic. They have been very consistent in showing up and making things happen so far. Its very nice to know that doesn't end once most of the money has been paid.

I will check on the skimmers. My contract calls for them to be individually valved as well, so hopefully they won't miss it.

We chose Pool Pros for the same reasons that you did... we just felt more comfortable with them. We interviewed 4 builders and by far Jeff did the best job of putting my fears to rest.

Thanks for your information and I'll keep updating as things happen. Off to order my test kit now!

Ok, so the pool shell looks to be complete. Inspector dropped by and gave his sign-off. Looking to pour the collar tomorrow. Here are a couple more pics of the progress.

Anything look out of the ordinary?

Attachments

• 7-9-3-2.JPG
    7-9-3-2.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 7-9-13-1.jpg
    7-9-13-1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 7-9-13-3.jpg
    7-9-13-3.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 340
Do you know the brand of the pool kit? I am looking to do a DIY pool sometime next year. The rendering looks great. I would love to see some pics of the cantilever coping. One thing I have been looking for is a way to dress up the typical edge of a liner pool. Looks like your off to a great start. Good luck and hope all goes well.

You may want to check and see if jandy valves were in the contract.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/regular-pvc-ball-valve-vs-jandy-or-pentair-valves-t45257.html

The brand of the pool kit is Sterling. I'm pretty sure its made by Fort Wayne Pools. I did check the contract and their are no Jandy valves called out in the contract, but thanks for the info, I may just go ahead and add them now anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.