Help with eliminating an in-floor system!!! At my wits end!

Mar 13, 2013
Hi everyone!

Relative newbie here and I love this site! So informative. Now hoping someone has the knowledge to assist with my situation/issue!!

Just recently completed a resurfacing of my pool, which had a paramount in-floor cleaning system with a 9-port water valve and also included a debris canister.
We decided to do away with this system and change to a pool sweep (Pentair Legend Platinum series).

We all of the new equipment we purchased installed (i.e. Pentair VS Intelliflo pump, booster pump, heater, filter, etc.) by the pool builder who made multiple attempts to eliminate the in-floor cleaning system so that the pool sweep could operate effectively.

All attempts so far have been unsuccessful! :grrrr: They even dug up part of our concrete pad to go underground to change some of the plumbing (unfortunately I was not at home at the time to witness what the changes were), but that still didn't fix the problem.

What is the problem you ask? When attempting to operate the pool sweep, air is getting into the line and causing the sweep to barely operate. I can visually observe the top of the VS pump intermittently having a rush of bubbles/air cycle through it. The return jets in the pool also have large amounts of bubbles cycling through them. I believe the issue lies with the debris canister, which has a lid that is supposed to not require an o-ring. However, that lid is loose and sporadically will fill up with water and then empty to where you can see water running through it.

Calling all experts on this site to help with suggestion(s) on how to fix this issue. Is it as simple as putting an o-ring on the canister lid so the seal is then air tight?
Or do you think I have bigger issues with the plumbing? I wish I could provide pics to help show the layout, but am unable to currently.

Any assistance/advice/help you can offer would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Darryl

Re: Help with eliminating an in-floor system!!! At my wits e

If that lid isn't sealing that's the majority (if not all) of your problem. You're going to have to get it to seal before your system will work.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I've got an O-ring on order that should arrive mid-next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that it finally corrects the problem and makes things trouble free again!

Would you agree that an alternative solution (albeit not the desired one at this stage) would be to drill a small 1/2 hole from the pool wall into the debris canister location, thereby providing a constant fill of water in that area so that there would be no suction issue?

Thanks again,
Darryl

That might work, but that wouldn't be my preferred fix. removing or bypassing the canister would be the best fix, but probably not the easiest one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.