Permenant pool fence questions

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
We just bought a house that has a 45' pool close to the house. The backyard is currently fenced. Local laws require a 48" pool fence. I think my backyard fence counts as that? It meets the requirements for the rules, I just don't know if a backyard fence is considered a "pool fence".

What I want to do is run aluminum picket fence across my deck and around half the pool- effectively separating the pool from the grass yard so the dog can use the doggie door and the dog/kids can't get to the pool deck.

I'll have to put the fence on the concrete deck for about 20', then the rest of the perimeter can be on dirt. I'm thinking about doing a DIY install, I'm pretty handy. Something like this: http://www.ultrafence.com/poolfences.html

Fence will go from the railing in the pic (the bathroom door and doggie door are there) and run left to the edge of grass/deck, then follow the concrete deck all the way around. Excuse the water, we just opened the pool for the season!

Fence will run along the short wall in the white rocks and go to far fence.

Likely the yard fence counts as the pool fence ... you apparently just need separate the house from the pool so that the pool is completely surrounded.

Around here, in Tucson city limits, the pool must be surrounded by a fence, but outside the city in the county, your house counts as a barrier as long as all the window have latches high enough from a foot hold and all doors leading to the pool are self-closing and self-latching or have alarms.

So, you need to check was the specific requirements are as far as you municipality, of course adding extra protection is never a bad idea.

Shane1 said:
I might be seeing the pic wrong or not visualizing correctly but would that screen door be inside or outside the fenced area and is there access to inside your home from the screen area?

You're right, the screen porch will have access to the pool. The plan is to have a high mounted lock on the inside of the screen door as well as run a pair of 1"x6" pressure treated deck boards across the the lower screens so the kids can't push or fall through the screens. Bushes will stay for now. Eventually we'll put a new screened porch on as the current one is a harry-homeowner special.

Our initial thought was somehow replace the porch and cover the whole pool with a screened porch- but I think that would be more structure and cost then we can handle right now. We just closed on the house and move in mid-June.

Gotcha, another thought could be to run your pool barrier straight out and down the slope to the perimeter fence assuming your perimter fence is up to code which it looks like it probably is. It would save a lot of money and labor and still give the dog and kids a little grass to play in. Once you're on the other side of the fence you still have unobstructed views to the pool and yard.

Thanks for the inputs- but most of the backyard is on the far side of the pool- it's not grass either, just dirt/trees. My dog is waaay to big to just use the little grass patch for her bathroom. So I want to fence off the pool from the rest of the yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.