Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First pool owner with algae problem. Please help

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool owner with algae problem. Please help

I'm glad i found this website. I just bought a house that comes with an in ground pool. I was excited untill i opened the cover. It is more like a swam with algae floating around. I came to my local pool store for the first water test twodays ago. this is the result:
    Cya 0
    CC 0.3
    Fc 0
    Ph 7.3
    Ta 67
    Th 60
    So they sold me 8lbs of clc (calcium hypochlorite 57.8%) to shock the pool. I came back this morning for another water test. This is the result:
    Cya 0
    CC 6.5
    Fc 0
    Ph 6.9
    Ta 76
    Th 113

I leave my pump running 24/7 and do the "backwash" 2-3 times a day. I just bought a vaccine hose and the triangle brush this morning but i haven't use it. Please somebody tell me what should i do next. I didn't buy any chemical today since trust u guys more than my local pool store. I will post pictures in my next post
    28k gallons. IG. 1hp pump variable speed. Sand filter Hayward S244T. Automatic chlorine feeder.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool owner with algae problem. Please help

Those are the pictures right after i removed the cover:

And this the picture after 24 hours i put in the clc stuff

I already ordered the test kit tf100. It will be here this weekend
    28k gallons. IG. 1hp pump variable speed. Sand filter Hayward S244T. Automatic chlorine feeder.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

As you can see from the pool store results, you just almost doublerd your hardness with that Cal-hypo. That's one of the reasons we encourage plain old bleach to kill algae here. You will also note the Combined Chlorine jumped up a lot. And both times you show zero CYA. Which sort of leads me to suspect your CYA broke down over the winter into Ammonia. It's going to take a whole lot of bleach and at least a week to get that pool clear and sparkling. Maybe longer.

Start in

When you feel like , take a break and go drag some sludge out of the pool manually.

You did well not to allow yourself to be pool-stored any more than you did, but remember they don't do free water tests just to be nice - they're in business to sell you chemicals. So order up your own test kit and look at some of the threads in the Algae room for inspiration.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

Since you order the best kit available, I would hold off on doing much to the pool before you have it. Spend the next few days reading through Pool School and getting an understanding of the chemistry and also scooping out whatever you can. Once the kit arrives, then post a full set of test results and we can figure out a path forward.

Likely you will need to add some CYA and then start the shock process. If you absolutely feel like you have to add something to the water ... add a bottle of regular bleach a couple times each day ... this will not be enough, but will start to kill some of the algae ... you just need the kit before you start blindly elevating the FC

Here are some good reads that are relevant to your pool:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank for the quick responses. Should i go ahead and vaccum my pool while waiting my water test kit arrive? I read somewhere that if i want to vaccum my pool i should put my filter at " waste" position. Is it correct? I'm still trying to understand how my filter is working. And i have spent all night to read through the pool school, i will keep reading until my test kit arrive though. Again, thank for the quick responses

6. Back To Top    #6

Filter = Water enters top of filter and passes down through the sand returning to pool
    Backwash = Water enters through laterals at bottom of filter and passes up through the sand and carry dirt out to waste pipe
    Clean/Rinse = Water enters top of filter and passes down through the sand and out to waste pipe
    Waste = Water bypasses filter and heads out waste pipe.
    Recirculate = Water bypasses filter and returns to pool

Waste is good if you have a lot of nasties ... but you could also just vacuum to the filter and backwash when required, this means you remove less water from your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

7. Back To Top    #7

You can get a copy of the manual, if you need one, from here:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... -S244T.pdf

Also, if you vac to 'waste', be sure to drop a hose or two into the pool adding water back.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

8. Back To Top    #8

I tried to vacuum the bottom of my pool but i noticed there is no suction come out of my vac head. I did fill the vac hose with water and put it in the Skimmer basket. So what am i doing wrong? I also notice my gauge pressure rise up 5-7 psi in a few a hour after a backwash, is it normal? The pool has not been used for over a year possible two. I am not sure if my pump and my filter still working probably, if not how do i know? No friend of mine has a pool that i can ask. Please help....

9. Back To Top    #9

Put you hand over the return eyeball and see if there is water coming out of it and how hard it is pumping and then backwash the filter and rinse and check it again it should have more pressure. The filter is doing its job because of the pressure rise which means it is filtering out debris.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

10. Back To Top    #10

I would manually use a leaf rake to get the big nasties out before I vac'd to make sure you don't clog your plumbing
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by hpham228
    I tried to vacuum the bottom of my pool but i noticed there is no suction come out of my vac head. I did fill the vac hose with water and put it in the Skimmer basket. So what am i doing wrong? I also notice my gauge pressure rise up 5-7 psi in a few a hour after a backwash, is it normal? The pool has not been used for over a year possible two. I am not sure if my pump and my filter still working probably, if not how do i know? No friend of mine has a pool that i can ask. Please help....
    All normal. The flow slows down and the pressure goes up as the filter gets dirty. This means it's doing its job.

Turn the pump off. Move the filter handle to backwash. Turn the pump on. Wait until the water runs clear. Turn the pump off. Turn the filter handle to rinse. Turn the pump on. Wait about 20-30 seconds or until the water runs clear. Turn the pump off. Move the filter handle to filter. Turn the pump on. Note thw pressure gauge for your "clean" pressure. You'll want to do the above backwashing procedure when your pressure rises 25% above the "clean pressure."

I made it painfully obvious above for a reason: never move the filter handle while the pump is on.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

So here is the result from my test kit tf100:
    Fc: 1
    CC: 3
    Ta: 50
    Ch: 100
    Cya <20. I believe its zero
    Ph: 6.8

Please tell me what should i do next? Please be as specific as u can since I'm new to this stuff. Thank you

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

1. Raise your pH to 7.4 using muriatic acid. Use poolcalculator.com to figure the dosage.

2. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

3. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

4. Shock your pool according to what you have learned in those two articles. We'll help you with all your questions.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

If I understand u correctly then what i should do is to raise my Ph first then shock the pool later? Also should i care about my cya level as well as my ta and ch level?

15. Back To Top    #15

I think duraliegh meant to say raise the pH with BORAX, not muriatic acid. MA will lower the pH.

Then you could add enough CYA to get to about 30. Don't worry yet about TA or CH.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

From what i read in the pool school and other thread. It would take up to one week to raise cya level ( i don't know how long does it take for Ph) so does that i meant i will have to wait until my cya level reach 30-40 in order to start shocking the pool? Or can i just do everything at the same time?

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

I think duraliegh meant to say raise the pH with BORAX, not muriatic acid.
    SILVER ALERT!! thanks for catching that, rdhetrick.

hpham228,

Get your pH in line first......it'll only take about 30-60 minutes. Next, add your CYA and even though it does not show on the test, you can assume it is ALL in there and go ahead with the shock process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

One more question. So when i shock the pool, to calculate the amount of bleach, do i assume my cya level at 0 or at 40 even though the stabilizer has not been completely dissolved?

19. Back To Top    #19

If you've added the CYA, then select your shock value under the assumption that the CYA has been dissolved even though it won't show up in the test for about a week.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

20. Back To Top    #20

Zzz...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast