Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rubber plug sucked in one of the outlet holes

1. Back To Top    #1

Rubber plug sucked in one of the outlet holes

I was learning how to open the new to us pool from the previous owner. I was going around and taking out the rubber plugs which are underwater. One of them got sucked into the wall as soon as I loosened it up! Must have been suction from the lines filling with water. Now the pump is running and the water didn't shoot the plug out. Any tips? I'm going to try a long reach mechanic's helper grabber tool thing to see if I can reach it. If that doesn't work- I have an air compressor- not sure what to use it on....
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rubber plug sucked in one of the outlet holes

Try shutting off the pump, reinstall the other plugs to concentrate the pressure, and turn the pump back on to see if it blows it out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

How far back in the hole is it?

If it's less than about 12" you can get a packing puller from Harbor Frieght (or your favorite tool place) and that may pull it out. They look like a corkscrew on a flexible shaft with a "T" handle.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I'll try that trick if the grabber doesn't work. I didn't have any tools with me to feel how far back it went. The plug has a metal "T" on the end, so it should be grab-able. At least it has pressure trying to push it out... I'll report back tomorrow when I head over there to rescue it.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool