Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie questions on getting things right with new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie questions on getting things right with new pool

This site looks really awesome and I am trying to read as much as I can, but please be patient with me

Just put up a new AG pool. Readings from this morning:

FC 6.5
    CC .5
    Ph 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 110
    CYA 0

These readings were after adding bleach, and then adding stabilizer. My CYA has remained at 0. Pool is clear, and has been since filled a few days ago. I will get a lot of sun on the pool (when it decides to shine in Wisconsin.)

I am familiar with the pool calculator, but am confused at what order or timeframe to add things?

Also, I would like to keep the solar cover on as much as possible to heat the pool, but I assume that I should remove it while adding chemicals and for a time after? And is it good to leave the cover on most of the time, in general?

Lastly, will be leaving town for 3-4 days tomorrow and concerned about what I may return to.

Thanks in advance for any help this rookie may receive!
    13K gal, AG, 1 hp Dynamo pump, 150 sq ft 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie questions on getting things right with new pool

How did you add the CYA? If put in and let to go to the filter, it may not test accurately for up to a week. How did you obtain you results?

Welcome!
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Stabilizer will take some time to show up on a test. You can leave it covered, especially while you are away. It will reduce the UV burning up your FC.

you might want to put a floater in with a few chlorine tabs while gone.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

I put it granular stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer last evening. So I guess I will need to wait a bit for it to register.

I am using the TF-100 Test Kit.

Thanks for the welcome!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

SCS,

Welcome to the forum. Other than bringing your CYA up to about 40-50 ppm (which you have already done, I think), those are great numbers and I wouldn't do anything else but swim.

Even though the CYA will not register for a few more days, you are safe to assume your dosage is in there and apply FC accordingly. nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Post pictures. Go swimming. Enjoy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, everyone!

Would love to swim after work but it will be 31 degrees tonight.
    Perhaps I should get my ice skates out and make some use if it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, I have waited a little over 1 week to retest CYA.
    Here are my numbers:

FC 3.5
    CC .5
    Ph 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 100
    CYA 0

Still at 0 with CYA

More granular stabilizer?
    Pool has been covered continuously for last week. I have added minimal bleach occasionally; that's about it since the stabilizer I put in over a week ago.
    Other numbers appear to look good, right?

9. Back To Top    #9

I am no expert, but I will say this and those in the know will maybe comment.

They cya test does take a bit of getting used to. I do best with mine on a sunny day.
    Additionally this spring for us was crazy ~ we had frost after I opened up & added my stabilizer to increase cya.
    I was not detecting the cya I introduced to the pool until I took the water sample into the house and let the water come up in temp a bit then I took the water I let warm up a bit back outside into the bright day and tested. I was able to get an accurate number that fell in sync with what I had added.

You mentioned how cold it was where you are ~ maybe testing with warmer water might show what you have added, if what I have read on various posts here is correct and the water for some did need to be warmer for accuracy (the ability to read). It could have been a fluke for me so I thought I would mention it.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, DKT.

I will try that tomorrow!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry for being so late to reply. Let the water warm up to room temp before doing the test. As for viewing the tube, you want to do it in bright, indirect light. So, use a bright sunny day, turn your back to the sun, and hold the tube at waist level.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry