Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Level and Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Level and Skimmer

Hi,

Sorry for the silly question, but just wanted to ask if it's alright to run the pool filter if the water level reaches above the top of the skimmer.

We had some heavy rains the past two days and the water level is higher than I normally keep it. When I went to drain the pool the T handle on my ball valve must have stripped (it turns but the valve doesn't open).

Seeing as we're getting more rain today and I wont be able to get around to replacing the valve (or hopefully maybe just the handle) until this weekend, is it ok for the pool filter to keep running or should I shut it down?

Thanks!
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Level and Skimmer

Yes, I had the same thing happen. My skimmer would not grab the floating debris but I made the decision along time ago that I would let evaporation bring down my water. With my luck I use to drain the pool to below the top of the skimmer and we would then have a 6 week drought and I would have to add water to it only to have the next rain come and put it over the skimmer again.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks for the reply!
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If I only need to drain the pool an inch or so and I'm not in a hurry I will use a garden hose to siphon off some water. It takes hours, but usually there is no rush.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir