Thread: Green deep end, cloudy everywhere else

1. Back To Top    #1

Green deep end, cloudy everywhere else

FC- 34 Yes, 34
    CC- 0
    CH- 50
    TA- 120
    CYA- 60

So. Opened the pool a few weeks ago and balanced everything out just fine. Woke up 3 days ago and it looked a little cloudy in the deep end. The next day the pool is a green pond. Started the shocking process yesterday and of course I didn't notice the bleach is concentraited so I obviously over did it. FC was at 35.5 when I went to bed last night, 38.5 early this morning and 34 right now. Obviously this high level concerns me. The pool turned back to cloudy overnight, except the deep end which is still green. I have been brushing the pool everyday and vaccumed yesterday. I haven't vaccumed today as it is of course raining. Am I on the right track or am I in trouble?? Any help would be sooooo appreciated. This is my first season as we just put the pool in at the end of summer last year. I am in NW CT
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    26,000 Gal Above Ground with Hopper
    22 in Sta-rite Filter (Using Zeosand)
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump
    Anything else we decide we need

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green deep end, cloudy everywhere else

Are you running the pump/filter 24/7? Bachwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Sand filters are kind of slow clearing up cloudy water, but they will eventually.

Just follow the shock process:
    Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think you are certainly on the right track and doubt the high chlorine will cause any long term issues....just let it come down around your shock value of 24 or so and then keep it there.

Have you backwashed/cleaned your filter? If so, did the psi go down?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have back washed and the psi dropped from 17 to 12.
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you're already wet from being outside in the rain to backwash, go brush the deep end a little and stir up some of that green stuff so the filter can catch it and load up again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

So if you clean pressure is 12psi, you should start backwashing when it reaches 15psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

This could have been my post as well... Pretty much describes our experience exactly... 3 days ago we woke up to a muddy catfish type pond. Today was the "green deep, cloudy everywhere else". Hopefully our shocking process clears it back up soon! :-/
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

8. Back To Top    #8

BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH that pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. I'm confused. We had a little over 2 inches of rain yesterday/last night. My husband was keeping watch for me while I was working yesterday and went to backwash the filter for me and forgot it was going. He drained about 4 inches out. My FC reading this morning is 33.5, CYA 50. I'm so confused. Shouldn't I have lost a lot of FC between yesterday and today? I would say the cloudy area looks a little better as I can now see the coping, but the deep area is still green. Is it safe to go in at that FC level? I really want to go in and brush it again and vacume it. It's driving me crazzzzzzzzyyyyyyyy!!!
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump

10. Back To Top    #10

(can you not brush/vacuum while standing outside along the edge?)
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

11. Back To Top    #11

No. We don't have a deck on yet and I'm not tall enough to reach the whole thing.
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like you need ElastiGirl's (Mrs Incredible) stretchy arms & legs...

13. Back To Top    #13

That would be nice! So are you asking these questions because it isn't safe to be in the pool at these FC levels?
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Hers
    That would be nice! So are you asking these questions because it isn't safe to be in the pool at these FC levels?
    You may end up with strange feeling skin and a bleached swimsuit. It is safe to go in up to shock level for your CYA. The only way to know is to test it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Honestly, I'm not sure (note my rookie status), I asked mostly because I was confused at your not having a deck yet. But, if your pool looks & smells like ours does right now with the high FC levels, personally wouldn't get in it. I'd be afraid of coming out looking like Freddy Krueger.

16. Back To Top    #16

Just installed pool at the end of last summer. Slowly working in deck now. Can't wait as it's a pita to have to get in to clean every time. Especially this early in the year when the water temp is 68. Brrrrrr.

To Richard320....I have tested. FC is 33.5 and CYA is 50. My shock level should be 24. Hence my concern.
    Hers

43x21 Sharline/Wilbar
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hers
    Just installed pool at the end of last summer. Slowly working in deck now. Can't wait as it's a pita to have to get in to clean every time. Especially this early in the year when the water temp is 68. Brrrrrr.

To Richard320....I have tested. FC is 33.5 and CYA is 50. My shock level should be 24. Hence my concern.
    Let the sun work down that FC for a couple hours.

18. Back To Top    #18

For the amount of time hou're in the pool, the worst that can happen is your clothes bleach out. If it's me, I wear old clothes and jump in a quick shower afterward.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

19. Back To Top    #19

Update

The wife and I have been working this issue for a week now! Here are the current numbers as of 9pm tonight:
    FC 24.5
    Ta 110
    Ch 20
    Cya 60

How do those numbers look? After a week we are still fighting a cloudy pool. Most of the green is gone and it has cleared up more in the last 2 days than last week. We had some issues with pump and filter. In the last 24 hr we have vac and scrubbed the pool 3 times and back washed once normal press is 12 and we are back washing at 15 pump and filter are back running normal now. The FC has been maintained above 24 all week. We plan to check it again first thing in the am to see if we have any overnight loss. I'm getting a little impatient waiting for this to clear up. I'm thinking about trying to add some DE to our sand filter tomorrow to help this out. Should I? If so how much should I add for a 22" sand filter? Any other suggestions? Btw I'm the husband of the original poster if you haven't figured it out.
    43x21x54" Sharkline/Wilbar Above Ground with hopper, 26,000 Gal
    Sta-rite 22 in sand filter with Zeosand removed reg pool sand installed, Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump, Poolsmart Climber Robot, TF-100 Test kit, poolskim, hard plumbing with second return added for poolskim, fafco solar heater, Luiquidator

20. Back To Top    #20

Read the article in Pool School to see how to add the DE.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast