First season, pool turned green after big storm

I'll retest as soon as I get home (at the stoplight now). I'm afraid it's correct... I was getting ready to do the CC test when my 3 yr old came over, bumped the table just right & knocked the vial over. :hammer:

Describe your process ... How much powder did you have to add to keep the water pink to start?

Actually, also do the OTO chlorine test (next to the pH test) and report the color, first.

10 ml from approx 1 foot below surface. 1 heaping scoop of the powder. Now only 81 drops to clear.. then 5 of Reagent 3 - no color change. I took photos & will upload them to Tumblr..

Hmmm ... firewall blocked your picture host, so I can not look at the pictures.

How pink was the water to start after adding the scoop and swirling? You likely should have needed more than 1 scoop with a FC that high.

Do the OTO test and report back.

That worked. So, first, I assumed you got the TF-100 and clearly I was wrong. You do NOT have the OTO chlorine test (it is yellow). That is the DPD test you have with the pH test ... honestly I am surprised it did not bleach out with such high FC.

That is a HUGE scoop, and a nice pick color, so seems like you test should be good. Note when you get down to normal FC levels, you will not need that much powder. How fast are you adding drops? Should be about 1 every second or so ... if you go too fast, the drops may be smaller.

So what did you do to get the FC so high before the FAS-DPD arrived?

Truthfully, sheer panic & (obviously) too much bleach. I blame my husband. He kept not seeing results, and would dump more in. Another day of green... another couple bottles of bleach. :roll:

I am vigorously brushing & vacuuming now. Did several minutes of vacuum to waste, then vacuumed to filter once the water got down too low.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel, and with it is prolly some more shaming & 'tsk tsks' from Jason for overshocking to uber stupid levels..... am I right, or am I right?!!

OH!!! And the OTHER huge mistake I did at my husband's request was to have Pool King test our water. So I did.... he told me my FC levels were at 5 and i needed to add 8-10 gallons of 10% shock. Even when I questioned him because even my diluted DPD test showed higher than that, he swore I was doing it wrong & that I must have been counting the CCs.

I reluctantly got the 10 gallons & we added them. I shame myself....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:-( No clue. I'm going to assume his intended target had nothing to do with FC, but instead was the obvious pool rookie mom.. and he got me, bullseye. It's extremely clear I've learned my lesson (the hard way). I'll take my licks...

While going the nuclear option with FC can work to kill everything, it is not the method we recommend because it puts your pool and equipment at risk for damage. To virtually eliminate that risk, we recommend the shock process as described in Pool School.

Lots to vacuum last night & this AM. FC level today was down to 31. Seeing the end, baby!

Now... where's the forum to put our orders in for sunny warm weather?? 6 yr olds bday party is Sunday, and the high is only supposed to be 74. Even with our solar panels, that's gonna be a problem!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.