filling pool from creek

Jun 24, 2011
ok so i have a 15000 gal intex ultraframe with sandfilter and swg. we had to drain it over the winter and it's time to refill. since we live in the country and water is high here we fill it from our creek. I have filled if from the creek before and did get the water crystal clear after an investment in time and chemicals so i know it can be done. my question is, i found a post on the internet where someone filled their pool by pumping through their pool filter and the poster said they filled through the waste port of the filter and water filled the pool through the skimmer. so im wondering if this would be effective way of prefiltering the water and possibly save some time and money? any suggestions? i think the original poster was "duraleigh" any help much appreciated.

This thread is useless without pictures!

I love the idea (seriously - this is awesome) especially since I drink from the creek when on long hiking trips / kayaking (see Katadyn Hiker Pro)

jblizzle has you covered.

Simply put the intake hose inside a box with a coarse screen so you don't suck up any rocks and run the intake hose from the creek to your pump. From the pump into the filter and then into the pool.

Once pool is full, simply remove the intake hose from the creek and hook it up to the intake from the pool to the pump.

Here is the huge caveat....I don't think your pump or your filter is capable of doing this job well. Your filter is small and will constantly clog and your pump probably doesn't have the "oomph" required to suck water out of the creek.

It would be easy to do with a regular sand filter of say 200 lbs and a 3/4 hp standard pump but the intex equipment probably just isn't up to the task.

It may work just fine but my bet is you will have some problems. Since you have done it once already, perhaps I am underestimating your equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.